Thread: First lightsaber, building a graflex ESB

Default First lightsaber, building a graflex ESB

Hey guys, building the graflex 2.0 ESB kit. (Fantastic kit by the way. I'm super happy with it.)

I have a few questions:

When I'm screwing in the front "lens" it screws in part way and then stops. It seems like the threads aren't deeply cut and I just need to keep turning it and the screw will screw itself in. Is this the case?

For the red button on the top of the shroud immediately behind it, I notice the red insert buttons sit flush with the top. But that there are two switches attached to the circuit board. Is that what those are for? I see also that there are two button screw in knobs, one with the back, drilled away (for electronics?) and one without. So should I remove those physical switches from the printed circuit board, stick one in there and...glue it in? What's the procedure on that?

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about with the "front lens", are you referring to the lens assembly for the LED?

Also, the tactile switches are included for use under the red button if you decide to do that type of activation. You can also do slide switch, clamp card tactile switches using 3 d printed switch holder that goes under the clamp card.

Look, to me, a great resource is on youtube for the Graflex 2.0. His videos are very long, detailed, and sometimes not very exciting, but once you watch his whole series he answers pretty much any questions you could have about the Graflex 2.0 kit (which I also love). I did an install similar to his in the video, and the saber came out so awesome, I still can't believe I installed it! It is awesome. I couldn't have done that without the guidance and help from East Coast Sabers Youtube Series.

For Series, click here: Lets Build A Graflex Episode I

There are 10 Episodes in this series, and 1 addendum about how to wire the red button for activation, including creating a channel in the inner core for your switch wires. I think before you set out upon the install, switch plans, etc. it would serve you well to watch this entire series. I watched this series 4 times prior to ordering parts for my install, and I'm glad I did. It save me tons of time/money, and my install came out awesome.

Good luck!

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

My saber:

The last 5 minutes shows my install in action. Some tutorial-esque portions of the video. Mine is ESB, but will be making more mods to make it better. Graflex vintage repro pommel cap, slotted screws, sloth furnace clamp card, etc. But, I can do those at any time. Mine is basically completely a stock Graflex 2.0, with the exception of how I wired my switches (clamp card), and I replaced the kit red buttons with the TCSS red buttons available here at TCSS.

Tom

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."