Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: LED blade tips

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

Tim's complete blade doesn't fix the dim issue. The blade he has on the page has it but it is hard to tell because of the color. If you look closely the core stops and starts again before the tip.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Maybe that's why he used that color...

is it possible to have a graduated diffuser? one that has less opacity near the end?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Probably not with the diffusers we use for sabers... They're probably drawn out like tubes are (thus only straight diameters are possible).

It's a nice idea though. Too bad I don't think it could be done.[]

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

X-wing,
    I posted your request for other colored-mirrored tips- its on the last page. Let me know what you(and others think)???

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I like the pics. It shows how some colors are more favorable than others. It demonstrates the light transmissions of the disks quite well.

So are you saying that you think the previous bloom problems were because the mirror wasn't centered well? and this mirror fits perfectly in the end at 3/4"?

dang I wish those blade holders would come back.[] I want to expirement too![]

<center>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dbraxton9

is it possible to have a graduated diffuser? one that has less opacity near the end?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hey that was my idea...

X-wing,
    Yes, this mirror fits perfectly into the polyC. And I dont think that all of the things for tips that have been tried, that bloomed, were because of misalignment. But I do think a great deal of them did because of it. It just hit me as one of those "OOOHHHH" moments when I tried to remove the mirror and got that typical bloom I saw in lots of pics online and most of my own experiments. And at first when I put the mirror into the diffused tip (saber not on) I turned it on and thought that it didnt do anything, the whole blade looked the same. Then, OH, wait a minute the WHOLE BLADE LOOKS THE SAME---WOOO HOOOO! I then removed the mirror (noticing the bloom) and realized how much more dull the tip was without it.

The mirrors are not hugely thick, but they fit so nicely into the polyc that they have no choice but to fit in line with the tube. And the fact that they only cover the diffuser end and not any polyc I think helps out by only putting light back down the diffuser only. Light can easily escape the polyc but most of it just bounces around in the diffuser.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I believe I found the mirrors. Darice 25 pack of mirrors? I'll certainly try them out when I finally get all the parts gathered

<center>

Yup, thats the right package of mirrors. There are a few in there that fit perfectly.

Cain

When I built my first LED blade, I installed a 3/4" mirror. It fit perfectly. Yes, the entire blade was very evenly lit, but the tip ended in a black "cut-off". I didn't like that look, so I removed the mirror.

I guess this 'mirror-in-the-tip' issue is going to boil down to personal preference.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/