Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: LED blade tips

Just throwing this out => How bout somthing at the bloom area to cover it maybe a thicker piece of diffuser just in this area. somthing to expand on?!?

Xwing, I agree with your CAD pic. The amount of concavity in the tip will have to be very, very slight. And I thought of doing my (soon to come) experiments by removing a very minimal amount of tip little by little and taking pics of each until I reach a point that is to far. And yes I do mean even like EL, but only to a point. I know we more than likely cant replicate the El evenness, but the goal is to get as close as possible, right?

Tetmatek, I was thinking of something similar, if I am understanding you correctly. As I mentioned earlier, if you have your concave section of the tip only above the diffuser section and not the rest of the blade-i.e. flat tip outside the diffuser dia., then the diffuser should help to even out the extra tip light down the tube more evenly. Just like the MR diffusers, the dimmer spots between thier LEDs are evened out. This same principal should carry over for the purposes of our LED setups. It might not came out perfect but it is definatly a step in the right direction and puts us that much closer to an ideal LED blade.

Of coarse this is all speculation on my part for now.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

New tip experiments up for review:
    1 Half ball drilled with polished aluminum disk. Sucked!
    2 3/4 half ball glued to 1" half then drilled and counter sunk with disc in countersink. PRETTY COOL (some pics)

Tip bead blasted also

Let me know what you guys think!

I just finished my mr anakin conversion and i put a 3/4" mirror in the tip of the blade and it makes the blade a full color and there is no dim spots at all!! Pics will come soon

The opression of the Sith will never return, you have lost - mace windu

Did you need to post that twice Usernames Suck?

lol there is somthing about that guy....

4 years Atarashi Naginata.
    2 years Kendo and Nami Ryu kenjutsu. Full time Jedi Knight

Hello everyone!
    I just wanted to say that I have done some of my experiments with the tips flat and 1/16" concaved. I must sat that for all of my experimenting a flat tip with reflective foiltape or just a tip glued with no reflector at all look the best[V]... The tip with 1/16" at its deepest concave did brighten the tip, however it did not send the light back down any farther-in fact it didnt come back down as far as just a flat tip with reflector.D@MN[!][V]! If you have a tip with no reflector it doesnt have dim spots but the light does gradually get less bright (obviously), so that would eliminate having dim spots but not make the blade a uniform brightness. I have pics but I still need to get them into my computer and theres like 25-30 of them, so I am awaiting Tims approval to post so many. I also took a few pics of a white blade with a colored tip to show exactly how far the tip light is reflected for reference.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Post away!!

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

UsernamesSuck, what diffuser did you use?

I will try to get the pics into my computer later today via a friends email (camera program doesnt want to install on mine), And get them in here the first chance I get.

Cain

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by scaarmor

Hello everyone!
    ... The tip with 1/16" at its deepest concave did brighten the tip, however it did not send the light back down any farther-in fact it didnt come back down as far as just a flat tip with reflector.D@MN[!][V]!...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The deepest part makes me afraid you misunderstood. It should be 1/16" hump out from what a flat tip would be. If you dug it 1/16" into the tip that would have the opposite effect and make the reflection shorter.

If you did do that then D@MN is right I thought that would solve it.[V]

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>