Thread: 2005 MR Luke ROTJ Conversion question

Default 2005 MR Luke ROTJ Conversion question

Looking for some advice on a conversion.

I followed all of the steps in the appropriate saber conversion post and everything works, but my LED isn't lighting up. I rewired the LED and the wiring harness twice each to be sure I was getting it wired correctly. And I also tested the LED every step of the way prior to connecting it to the wiring harness and everything works, but once I hook it up to the harness and plug it in to the board, the LEDs don't light up anymore.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or if so, if a solution was found.

Sound and motion works great. Just the LED won't turn on.

The only difference on my conversion is that I'm using a 3-up Cree LED with 3 green dies. They have jumpers between 2 dies. So, I only soldered 1 positive and 1 negative wire, which I then soldered to the harness.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Pictures of the wiring would of great help.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Pictures of the wiring would of great help.
    IMG_6872.jpg
    Wiring harness attached to board - soldering was done while not plugged in and no power

IMG_6873.jpg
    Front / Top of LED

IMG_6874.jpg
    Underside of LED/Heatsink

IMG_6875.jpg
    Testing LED on 9V battery

LED worked all the way through wiring/soldering. When soldered to the harness and plugged in to the board, sound works, but lights won't turn on. Redid this 2x to be sure I got everything soldered as cleanly as I could get it and everything worked except for the lights when powered up.

Anything other than these needed for pics? Lemme know.

Thanks

I see the problem....your leds on the pad are in a series connection. You need 9 volts or more for it to light up. Remove the on board resistors between them on the star pad and it should work when powered from the sound board. Despite having 6 batteries in your battery holder, it is still wired to deliver 4.5 volts to your board. Giving the board more than 6 volts will damage the board.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    I see the problem....your leds on the pad are in a series connection. You need 9 volts or more for it to light up. Remove the on board resistors between them on the star pad and it should work when powered from the sound board. Despite having 6 batteries in your battery holder, it is still wired to deliver 4.5 volts to your board. Giving the board more than 6 volts will damage the board.
    Actually, I did that with my Vader conversion when I did that about a year ago. And that one works. So, good point. I will try that.

Thanks. I'll follow up with results.