Thread: Jay-gon's MHS ANI ROTS-ish

Default Jay-gon's MHS ANI ROTS-ish

This is a saber that has been in the works, or planning stages for quite awhile for me. The project got started about 5 or 6 years ago when a friend of mine in the 501st Legion told me he was going to be doing an Anakin ROTS costume for membership in the Rebel Legion, and also in the 501st as Darth Vader. I originally thought it would be fun to get him a Graflex replica, one of YODA's chassis, and make it into a close approximation of the ROTS saber. The other option was to get some MHS parts and try and make something a close as well. Both options were to have a reveal chassis, and I thought it would be a fun challenge to do the MHS version instead. It was a challenge, but not exactly fun, as reveal chassis are not my specialty. Now, over the years, the project got back-burnered by either the owner, or myself for personal reasons, so it took a lot longer than I originally planned on.

This was also being done on a budget, and he has traded in his old Parks Rogue saber that I converted and sold off last year or the year before, which covered all of the parts cost for this one. So, with that all said, here is my take on the ROTS ANi saber, the MHS ANI ROTS-ish:

The saber is powered by an 18500 Li-ion cell from TCSS and features a Crystal Shard 3.0 sound board. The 5mm led lighting the crystal is an RGB common anode and is wired parallel to the main blade's Cree XPE2 RGB, so it mimics the blade functions and colors:

Since this an Anakin styled saber, I thought it would be best to have several shades of blue/cyan on it.

Here's where the crystal doesn't quite match the blade color:

Orange blade, yellow crystal.

Yellow blade:

Lime-green crystal. all of the other colors match up pretty much spot-on.

Another blue blade:

Assorted build pictures:

Youtube Video:
    https://youtu.be/5uJrNwetmWo

Special thanks to Zook, eastern57, Obi-dar, and Lord Dottore Matto for the assistance with parts, ideas, and encouragement! I couldn't have finished this one without your guys' help!

This one will be hand delivered to it's owner this weekend!
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 06-21-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Blog Entries

Sweet. Nice job Jay. I've seen you state before that reveals are not your specialty. Well, reveal looks pretty awesome in my opinion.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Very nicely done there
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

That's a great MHS graflex-styled saber. I love the way you hid the RICE port in the box.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Always a pleasure to see your work around! I'm digging how meaty the crystal looks! I've got a crystal reveal in the works that can only fit a tiny one. (thanks for the help in the chat/in my thread of recently also!)

Very very cool.

I really like what you did with the switching. Any details on the tooling you used to get the nice countersink?

Countersink for the switches was simply done with a 3/8" drill bit. Extensive sanding by hand followed.

This looks fantastic.