Thread: Nano biscotti 4.0 Parallel 2 battery Wiring

Default Nano biscotti 4.0 Parallel 2 battery Wiring

I posted this question over at FX and got zero replies so I will repost here

Hello
    I happen to have a CF 8.0 and NBv4.0
    After ordering and realizing the CF 8.0 doesn't have the ability to control digital addressed LEDs I ordered the nano biscotti version four
    This will give something for my son and I to work on together when I'm home for my allotted 3 to 4 days a month

My question is since the LED strips have such a high power requirement ( 2X LED strips back to back ) can I wire in parallel 2 lithium ion packs ?
    Normally I would just assume yes but putting this together with a charge port and both packs having protection circuits I'm not sure
    I was guessing that I probably could but that I would have to charge them separately so I would leave just an extra JST connector for the second battery in place but unplug it during charging and switch it out or rotate it ( charge port with standard kill key in it when not in use )

Disclaimer: please forgive any grammar or spelling errors as AutoCorrect likes to massacre my sentences

It can be done indeed. It's more or less a better practice to make a battery pack out of unprotected cells so both cells can hooked up to a PCB protection board that will protect the battery from over charge/discharge- This way they can receive a even amount of charge and ultimately remain more stable. I haven't tested a duel parallel pack myself, it's possible it could held good results, but I have a gut feeling that although you might get a better performance as far as capacity goes... I don't know if it will double the discharge current.

You'd most likely be better off with remaining with a single high-drain cell. However, The key is to get a cell that has a decent capacity with a high-drain discharge current at least 6A+. Although the tricky part isn't so much finding such cells, but rather the lack of high-drain compatible PCB protection for the unprotected cells- as most of them are unprotected. (It should be noted that most of them use a "safer" chemistry such as IMR- that allow for safer operation and don't always require a form of protection, BUT it's not really ideal for our uses- since they have to charged externally on chargers that can measure and maintain safe charging levels for those particular cells.)

After doing some research myself, I've come to the conclusion that currently the most optimal cell to use, that is high-drain enough for our uses and still maintains a protection circuitry; is the Panasonic NCR18650PF 3.7v 2900mAh (10A Max discharge rate).

TLDR; Use a better battery for the job. Get yourself a NCR18650PF and call it a day.

Hope you and your son have a blast building lightsabers!!

Thanks that's the kind of info I was looking for
    I had purchased 3X of the wrong battery from TCSS ( I just hit add on the wrong tab on my browser that's all )
    The original three batteries that I got from them I intend to have my son use just to experiment with and I was thinking of getting this instead for main use once we get everything put together
    https://www.orbtronic.com/18650-prot...ah-lithium-ion

From what I understand it sometimes difficult to find reputable dealers with genuine Panasonic batteries and I've heard this companies are good

Yeah something like that should do the ticket!

Those are the only batteries I use and I've been using them with pixel blades for almost a year.