Thread: Using el wire in crystal chamber

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Using el wire in crystal chamber

I have a question all.

I want to use some el wire in my crystal chamber but the el wire only runs on ac power.

I bought one of the $4.00 controllers that power the el wire, has a button you can make it static on, strobe and strobe fast. I bypassed the switch so it came on when D.C. Power was applied to one side, but the actual board is too large to fit inside my hilt. I tried shaving it down with a dremel and must have hit something important as the wire no longer lights up.

That got me thinking, can I just remove the thing on the board that converts to ac power and just wire that up? I don't need the board.

I have some pics of the board let me try to post.

Interesting idea...... more info and pics please....

I find it a fascinating idea, but I don't begin to have the knowledge to offer advice. I know that it is possible, because Parks used to have a saber with EL wire wrapped around the emitter. Will watch with interest.

I have yet to de solder the thing off the board yet. Haven't done much de solder work, I need some of the material that soaks it up. Was hoping someone else went down this road before me and could provide some insight in using the el wire

I put EL Wire on my Kylo saber. My inverter, I disassembled down to the bare components to save space. I also drove it with its own battery. When I re-do one of my other Kylos (complete overhaul) of my original installation, I plan on putting running EL wire in it. There is a tactile switch in the EL inverter that controls running mode. I'm going to extend those leads to a tactile switch that will be accessible on the saber hilt.

What you're proposing should work, so long as you don't damage the Inverter circuitry and protect it from shorts somehow. I circle filed the plastic body.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."