Thread: Smoking hot blue led no bs

Default Smoking hot blue led no bs

So not sure what the issue is. I have 1/2ohm 1/2 watt resistors on the blue diodes of the tri cree bbw wired to my nano v4. 1ohm 1watt on the white foc. I unbraided the multiconductor (local electronic store purchase 28 awg) cuz I forgot to do so before. seems to help but the led is still getting extremely hot though no more smoke yet since I undid the wires.

any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The LED will get hot. That's the purpose of the heatsink. Have you attached the LED star to your heatsink with the thermal pad?

Generally, the LED will be hot to the touch, but not quite hot enough to burn you. I'd say lightly painful, but no damage to the skin.

Any more than that, and we'd need to see images with your solder joints. The joints on the sound board and the joints on the LED star itself in particular.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

As silver said , they should get hot.

I had calculated with my Blue die, needing 0.61 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. I am using 0.5 ohm 1/2 watt resistor on my blue, but I am also using the drive parameter as a linear resistor for the last 0.11 ohm impedance.

Every LED is different. If you are super concerned, look at the section in the NBv4 manual about the drive parameters.

I am using the drive parameters(and fdrive) as a linear resistor on my blue led and green led.

I think with that nice V3 heatsink you shouldn't have any issues even if you are overdriving the LED a bit. Use good heatsink paste.

I think there is info online about folks who overdrive their leds, just need larger heatsink.