Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Therion's Wrath' a custom hilt build

Default 'Therion's Wrath' a custom hilt build

Okay, new saber project here in the workshop.
    This one, inspired by my cosplay and Old Republic character, is called 'Therion's Wrath.'

The basic design was inspired by an Ultrasabers 'Dark Catalyst' or its twin the 'Catalyst'
    Both use parts from TCSS for the main body, pommel, emitter, and choke.
    The LEDs for this one came from TCSS, while the remaining electronics came from Ultrasabers.

The main feature that sets this saber apart from some others was drawn from Star Wars: The Old Republic in the form of a vented saber that vents through the pommel instead of a crossguard setup.

Now, I wasn't planning to copy this hilt design completely.
    I was actually inspired by Ultrasabers hilts, so I used the MHS Builder over at TCSS to come up with what I was looking for:
    Exterior basic layout

Interior basic layout

Hilt mockup once the main hilt parts arrived

Machined the holes for the switches and screws, as well as drilling the speaker holes in the back choke piece

Using Aluminum Black, I darkened the grip and choke pieces to almost black, as well as the insides of both emitters.
    I then used a lighter treatment over the rest of the parts to give the hilt a weathered look

Recieved a set of blade covers for use in simulating the 'unstable' blade like Kylo Ren's.
    I opted to go a different route for the pommel vent, rather than using these

Electronics wired up and tested. Both amber LEDs work, and the speaker was working as well.
    I have to admit that these are some of my best looking connections

With the electronics work done, I loaded my custom sounds into the Obsidian V4 ship, and then buttoned things up.

Finished pics:

All in all, I was VERY pleased with who this one turned out

Youtube link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksdbNhNdRN8
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

Nice BSG model in the background. Where did you get the unstable blade- looks awesome.

Thanks.
    I picked up the unstable blade from a vendor on Ebay

Very interesting blade. It looks like they took a normal blade and added hot glue or something to it. At first, I thought your finished photos were done with photoshop, until I noticed the "off" pictures.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

That's quite nice! I'm not sure it would suit everyone's style of swordplay, but it has a fascinating look to it!

Thanks, Serpent, I think they actually used silicone caulking to get the effect

Thanks, Jenny.
    The swing only needs minor adjustments to clear the vent/exhaust. A lot easier, actually, than the typical crossguard setup

Great work! I took a more subdued approach to the silicone blade on a build that, like so many others, is "almost" done. ("Silvana" maybe I posted it? I forget really..)

Looks great!

The Trident feature on a PRIZM would give a delayed ignition of the vent that would be very neat.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    Great work! I took a more subdued approach to the silicone blade on a build that, like so many others, is "almost" done. ("Silvana" maybe I posted it? I forget really..)
    Thanks. I wish I could take credit for the blade cover, but I bought that

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Nurse View Post
    Looks great!

The Trident feature on a PRIZM would give a delayed ignition of the vent that would be very neat.
    Likely would, but I'm more comfortable with the Obsidian chips from Ultrasabers