Thread: Crystal Focus V8 foc: need help

Default Crystal Focus V8 foc: need help

Hello all, I am attempting my first build. I've rewired a couple of sabers already and have at least a basic knowledge of how it works. I am about to attempt a Simple FoC build with a Crystal Focus V8 and I want to use a Buckpuck instead of resistors. My biggest concern is the 2512 smd resistor for the FoC - pad. I wasn't sure if this was absolutely necessary or not. I have also seen a wiring diagram claiming that you can connect the primary + & - from the main LEDs without a resistor directly to the board(claiming the board itself will take care of it), in which case I could just wire the FoC lines through the Buckpuck to the board. It may be worth noting that I will be using the 6 wire Buckpuck and a Red,Red,Amber LED. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone has to offer. Thanks.

You don't use buckpucks with soundboards. If you are conerned about trying to solder 2512 resistors, you CAN use external resistors (I beleive there are pictures of that in the manual).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I'm guessing the CFV8 has a built in LED driver then. Also, is it true that I can run the main LEDs directly to the soundboard without any resistors? After reading the manual, that seems to be the case as I cannot find any diagram showing or saying a resistor is needed. The FoC LED is amber colored, and my math(which could be incorrect) shows that I would need a 5 or 6 ohm 5w resistor. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. Thanks.

Channel 1 does not require a resistor. Channels 2 and 3 (using the OEX underneath the board) DO require resistors of some type. It is covered in the manual.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Awesome. I thought that was the case, but I didn't want to assume. That helps me out a lot. Thanks! I'll be sure to post pics of the saber once it's complete. Take care!

Force Aware
    Force Aware
    Force Aware

Speaking from experience the 2512 smd resistors can be a pain to solder onto the CFv8.
    Sean

SciFiHero.net Member; SG Operations Home of SG-Socom Member