Thread: Working Graflex red button

Default Working Graflex red button

Hi all,
    What is a good way to get a working Graflex red switch, if you want it to function like a standard 12mm or 16mm momentary switch? I've seen a functioning red button on other sites, but it's not a functioning switch. If you used that button, would it be better to put a small momentary switch under it (like switch 20, 21 or a tactile) or try to somehow put a 12mm switch under it? Does that even make sense?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

If it's a vintage you can use a tactile switch under the red button. You'll need the graflex blade adapter. I can't comment on the 2.0 replica as I have no knowledge of that saber. But I believe there are plenty of threads here and elsewhere that probably cover it.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    If it's a vintage you can use a tactile switch under the red button. You'll need the graflex blade adapter. I can't comment on the 2.0 replica as I have no knowledge of that saber. But I believe there are plenty of threads here and elsewhere that probably cover it.
    Thanks for the suggestion, darth_chasm. Sorry, I should have clarified that I'm not actually thinking of using the button on a Graflex replica, but as a switch on an "original" MHS saber. I've read some threads of using tactile switches, so I assume that's the "easiest/best" way to get a red button to work as a switch, even on MHS sabers?

I would think that you should be able to drill a hole through the threads, and use a rivet as a kind of plunger to push a tactile switch in the hilt. I've never actually seen this done before on a Graflex red button, but I've seen it done with the jeweled hemi on an Obi TPM and it seemed to work fine.

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the suggestion, NanoRex. Are talking about drilling through the threads on the red button thumb screw?

Yes, just drilling a hole right through the silver part of the button thumb screw. IIRC the threads are 10-32 so that should be plenty large to have a hole drilled through and still be strong enough.