Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Kanan Inspired Built

I've done the etched "pilot" to great success. Even if you use a center punch to improve upon it, the dot will give you a precise location to place your punch.

One small addition to SS's excellent suggestions. Use the shortest bit you can and put it as far into the chuck as it will go. Less exposed bit means it will deflect less.

Blog Entries

Default Finally! A Precise Drill.

The etching worked. I finally dried holes where I wanted them. Here's the progress so far. I have some sanding and weathering to do, then I'll start with the internals.
    IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    I darkened it with aluminum black, but it looks like the black is gong to rub off. If I can't seal it with clear spray paint, I'll have to bake the paint on.

Blog Entries

A few more interim photos...

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

A few things aren't aligned yet, but they aren't tightened up. It'll all be straight when I'm done.

Blog Entries

Oh, and of course the grips aren't there yet. I am either going to etch the grip/lines, or I'm going to cut very thin strips out of MHS shroud material. I'd have to screw them onto the hilt though.

Another option is to use the TCSS grips and have the slits machined. That would involve either sending my part in or cutting another one.

The grips need to be 5.5" long. It looks like the TCSS grips are only 3.4" long. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by hapki View Post
    I darkened it with aluminum black, but it looks like the black is gong to rub off. If I can't seal it with clear spray paint, I'll have to bake the paint on.
    Aluminum black isn't paint. It's a chemical compound that oxidizes the aluminum. You'll need to seal it with a clear coat to prevent the black from rubbing off.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Blog Entries

Default The Latest

Here's the Kanan hilt with paint. The aluminum black just wasn't working for me, so I reverted to a good primer, flat black paint, and several layers of matte clear. Between layers, I rubbed the paint with very fine steel wool and my bare fingers to smooth out some of the imperfections. I'm satisfied with the results, but I'm not sure the paint will be very durable. This hilt is just going to sit on a shelf, for the most part anyway.

my_version.jpg

What's lacking is the cube-ish piece on the emitter adjacent to the tsuba. I see that piece on some of the older images of the Kanan hilt, but it isn't on all of them. I think that piece makes the hilt look more sophisticated, though. See annotation on photo.

Also, the control box is far from canon. The control box should be black, but I couldn't get a finish that I liked, and since the control box sticks up, it is likely to get scratched and lose the finish. Maybe I should see about getting it powder coated?

Anyway, this is where I am so far.
    Last edited by hapki; 06-24-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Etching with Muriatic Acid

I tried a different etching method with the rings on this hilt.

IMG_1184.jpg

I cut a resist with a vinyl cutter. I used a glass medicine dropper to drip 100% straight muriatic acid on the metal. It bubbled immediately. I dripped more acid on it a few times to make sure the etch was even, and I had good, clean results in a matter of seconds. This left the etched part substantially darker than the rest of the piece, but I added aluminum black to enhance the look.

Using pure acid may be a bad idea, but it worked in this case. I kept a hose nearby in case I needed an emergency rinse, and I followed reasonable safety precautions, e.g., acid resistant gloves, eye protection, etc.
    Last edited by hapki; 06-24-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Looking good, but watch yourself with that acid
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

Blog Entries

Default A Different Color Scheme

Almost all of the saber hilts I've crafted are black and silver, so I wanted to do something different. This color scheme reflects Kanan's wardrobe more than his saber hilt. I think I like it, but I'm not sure. If I decide I don't like it, a little acetone and it'll be back to bare aluminum.

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

The paint is a little sparkly on a few pieces, but a coat of matte clear coat will take care of that. Still more work to do, but I'm making progress.