Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Kanan Inspired Built

Blog Entries

Default A Kanan Inspired Built

I've posted snippets of this build throughout the forum, but it's time to give this build its own thread.

IMG_1107.jpg

The tsuba is 3-printed metal. The ring just below the tsuba is a double layer of MHS shroud material and a piece of aluminum tube. The tube is precisely the perfect diameter to layer on top of hilt material. After sanding, they look like one piece.

Here are some other shots:

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg
    Last edited by hapki; 06-03-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Blog Entries

The control box is a 3d printed piece as well. I think it is too big. I am trying to find an alternative, but so far I haven't found anything I like.

Blog Entries

An alternative to the big, bulky control box is this box:

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

The proportions are better, but it isn't quite like the Kanan hilt; plus, I'll have to use a 16mm switch, etc. Those things require lots of space.

Blog Entries

Default Access to interior

A good thing about the Kanan hilt is that the layering covers up easy-access to hilt electronics.

IMG_1112.jpg

Nice, very nice.

Concept is very sound here, Liking what you've done so far
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

Blog Entries

Default Trouble with Precision Drilling

I'm having trouble drilling holes for the "recharge pins". I think they'll make for an awesome look, besides the fact that they are part of the original Kanan hilt. The bit keeps sliding and dancing around on the curved surface. Even when I start with a tiny bit, it have trouble getting the hole in the right place. Given the small diameter of the circle around them, the pins have to be exactly in the right place--down to a half millimeter or so.

IMG_1173.jpg

I can keep turning the inner core so that I don't have to discard the metal piece, but it's getting frustrating. My next step is to cut a resist with a vinyl cutter and etch starting holes in the precise location using muriatic acid.

The tool you seek is called a "Center Punch". It will allow you to mark a point for your hole and prevent the bit from wandering.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Blog Entries

Thanks, Silver Serpent. I have tried a center punch, but not with the effect I'd like. Perhaps I need a sharper, , harder, pointier center punch. Or maybe I just don't know how to use it. I'll try using it once more. Thanks again.

Hit the punch a little harder with your hammer. Your mark may be too shallow to ensure the bit doesn't wander.

A drill press and a vice of some sort to hold your pieces is very helpful. I always "dry-check" my drill's alignment before turning it on, from at least two different angles. Sometimes it's dead center one direction, but not centered from another. Also be sure your bit is centered properly in the drill chuck. I've made that mistake once or twice when I got in a hurry.

Once you have a good mark and the drill is aligned properly, you start drilling *slowly* to ensure the drill bites in where you want it to.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!