Thread: My first saber - Pop-up drain

Default My first saber - Pop-up drain

20170530_212323.jpg20170530_212249.jpg20170530_212239.jpg20170530_212216.jpg20170530_212204.jpg20170530_081443.jpg

This is my first saber. I wanted to do it non-MHS to give it the real home-made feel. So I can imagine Vader saying to me "I see you've constructed a new lightsaber..." It also happens to be green

Parts used:
    Pop-up drain assembly (1-1/4"), $13-15 on Amazon.
    Slip joint extension tube (1-1/2"), $7 or less on Amazon. I like the extension tube because it basically comes with a free pommel.
    Washer to fill the pommel, 34 cents at Lowes. I tapped an 8-32 hole in the washer to mount my D ring (TCCS). The hole in the washer just happened to fit perfectly with a nice white light-up switch I had (5/8"), 4$.
    32" polycarbonate tube, clear blade tip, blade film double wrap, 1-1/4" blade holder/heatsink V4, single green Cree LED, power resistor, all from TCCS.
    I actually have two switches on the saber. The red one is just for looks. The blade holder actually sits behind that switch area so I couldn't wire a switch there like I had originally planned. That is why I added the nice glowing switch to the washer in the pommel.
    The battery I used is just a 2200mah cell phone charger battery I had laying around. It actually just has one of those 18650 batteries inside, but I kept it as is since the cell phone charger comes with a nice usb charging circuit built in.

All in all, I kept the cost of the saber under $100 excluding some one time purchases like the dowel rod to wrap the film, super glue, etc. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions

Fairly boring clip I threw together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97dtYn1bHIk
    Innovative use for your lightsaber
    https://youtu.be/2AQOiqshPKc
    Last edited by noahd@vt.edu; 05-31-2017 at 07:09 AM.

I firmly believe everyone's first saber should be a hardware saber!

This turned out really well, especially for a first effort.
    My own was unlit and out of PVC
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

@jbkuma, Yea it was fun! Harder than I expected too. There were a lot of things that didn't go just right and I had to improvise, so it was a good learning experience. I had initially planned to do a Tri-cree and do flash on clash with a ggw. I ended up going with the single LED because the battery I had on hand wasn't going to handle 2 LEDs in series. Glad I went that route because I have absolutely no room left in the hilt for any kind of FoC circuit. For a future saber build I was thinking of doing an RGB, a crystal chamber, or adding sound. I will definitely need more room for any of those!

Also, I like your Aspara build, looks great!

@T Jinn Thank you, I appreciate it. Would love to see your PVC
    Last edited by noahd@vt.edu; 05-30-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    My First Saber

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"

Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by noahd@vt.edu View Post
    @jbkuma, Yea it was fun! Harder than I expected too. There were a lot of things that didn't go just right and I had to improvise, so it was a good learning experience. I had initially planned to do a Tri-cree and do flash on clash with a ggw. I ended up going with the single LED because the battery I had on hand wasn't going to handle 2 LEDs in series. Glad I went that route because I have absolutely no room left in the hilt for any kind of FoC circuit. For a future saber build I was thinking of doing an RGB, a crystal chamber, or adding sound. I will definitely need more room for any of those!

Also, I like your Aspara build, looks great!

@T Jinn Thank you, I appreciate it. Would love to see your PVC
    Ask, and ye shall recieve.
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"