Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Designing a new saber

Default Designing a new saber

Hi all,
    I'm planning a MHS saber strongly influenced by the Obi-Wan Apprentice saber. My hope is to have several of the MHS pieces customized by TCSS, to get a body shroud cut that goes over the ribbed section and powder coating. The shroud will butt up to the thick extension behind the blade holder and be locked in place by one of the glass eyes and the switch.

Here are the basic parts:
    apprentice_saber_base.jpg

Here is where I hope to end up:
    apprentice_saber_final.jpg

Here are my first thoughts at the internals.
    apprentice_saber_final_internals.jpg

Does anyone know if grinding down a part of the shroud (or cutting a wide groove in it) would weaken it too much? My layout has that thinner (black colored) section flush against the thick extension, so I don't think it would be under stress. I've toyed with just doing a single switch, with a bezel and no box, and moving the recharge port to the end of the pommel. I'm concerned that whether I use box 9 or a bezel a standard switch won't be long enough, and there aren't many options for the long 16mm switches.

Feel free to make suggestions. I'd like to get the pieces sometime soon, but the sound may have to wait. Thanks!
    Last edited by Just A Jedi; 05-30-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Additionally, where do you think is the most "logical" place to drill/tap the set screw for blade holder 27? I'm thinking in the thick part, just above the second wide flair. I guess you could drill it between some of the ribs, but the hole will be bigger than the gaps. Thoughts?

bh27_set_screw.jpg

Your drawing looks to have the best spot on that emitter. I'd go with that.
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

You've clearly done your homework! I look forward to seeing the build.

Thanks, Jenny. I've lurked for a while and I've tried to look at a lot of videos and builds. However, I guess I didn't do enough homework. In looking over the parts, I just realized I can't put screws in one of the pieces I chose (the piece is too short).

Looks great. My one point of caution is the store will no longer powder coat partial parts like you've shown. See here.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    Looks great. My one point of caution is the store will no longer powder coat partial parts like you've shown. See here.
    Thanks rlobrecht. Yeah, I saw that too... sigh. The final look of the saber is a bit "pie in the sky". I'm hoping I can find a local shop to do any special powder coating.

Powder coating is not all that difficult. Check YouTube for instructional videos and make up your own mind.

Your concept pictures are great. This is a dope saber!
    So far as retention screw placement, I usually put it a little higher on the BH, despite how some obvious fasteners can be annoying, but I feel like having it placed in the middle of the blade is stronger for some reason. Placed too low on the BH, the screw might not be biting into enough of the blade to be useful. Don't know if my way has any merit, but its just what I do and why do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Jedi View Post
    Your concept pictures are great. This is a dope saber!
    So far as retention screw placement, I usually put it a little higher on the BH, despite how some obvious fasteners can be annoying, but I feel like having it placed in the middle of the blade is stronger for some reason. Placed too low on the BH, the screw might not be biting into enough of the blade to be useful. Don't know if my way has any merit, but its just what I do and why do it.
    Thank you for your advice. I agree that I'd like to have the blade retention screw higher on the blade holder. I just didn't want to put a screw between the ridges on BH 27, I guess. It makes sense, so I might change my mind.