Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Designing a new saber

You could always go for a counter sunk set screw if you don't want it to mess up your saber's esthetics. Down side, you'd have to have a tool to use it every time you want to insert/remove the blade.

UPDATE
    I've been trying to refine (i.e. fiddling with/overworking) my design. I decided to replace the ribbed extension with a 5" double female extension that I hope to have "grooved/ribbed". So now, I have:

Base
    mhs_apprentice_base_update.jpg

Customized
    mhs_apprentice_customized_update.jpg

Final (way down the road)
    mhs_apprentice_final_update.jpg

I am still trying to decide whether to go with a switch and recharge combo box or a pommel recharge. Plus, I might go with a countersunk blade screw.

Hopefully more to come soon-ish.

Really nice design. If it were me, I'd not have that glass eye on the bottom, but that's a personal preference thing. Have you thought about putting the recharge port into the covertec?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Starkiller View Post
    Really nice design. If it were me, I'd not have that glass eye on the bottom, but that's a personal preference thing. Have you thought about putting the recharge port into the covertec?
    Thanks, Tom. I don't know, I kind of like the two glass eyes... or at least the idea of them. Once I get the parts maybe I'll change my mind.

I hadn't thought about the recharge covertec only b/c I am concerned that using it in a clip would gradually loosen the kill key. Is that accurate?
    Last edited by Just A Jedi; 07-06-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Recharge in the covertec might not be a good idea for both the possible loss of the kill key, and the possible stress on the mount for the covertec.

Good looking designs there, though
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

If you're planning on using the covertec as a kill key, then I don't think you'd be able to use it as a recharge port. I could be wrong on that though, hopefully someone with more experience could chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Starkiller View Post
    If you're planning on using the covertec as a kill key, then I don't think you'd be able to use it as a recharge port. I could be wrong on that though, hopefully someone with more experience could chime in.
    I think they are referring to having a covertec-looking kill key. So, this would go into the recharge port and act as the kill key, but have the head of a covertec. However, if you were to actually use the covertec as expected, you would then be hanging the saber off the kill key, which is not a good idea. But, if you don't hang it off the key, it would be just fine.

However, it might also be possible to epoxy a covertec clip to the saber, then drill through it and have a kill key nested inside the covertec. Not sure how I feel about that idea, but it is an interesting one. If you design the kill key "head" well enough to be able to easily get at it, you wouldn't have the stress of hanging the saber on the kill key. But then you would never be able to remove the covertec (not sure if that is an issue or not).

But, I wouldn't recommend doing this on the gear section as depicted above as it wouldn't sit right for the glue to hold well enough.

I wonder if you could tap the covertech with a 5/16-32 tap and then use it as the nut for the recharge port. I don't know if the threaded section of the recharge port is long enough for that to work. It would be tricky screwing it in, but should be possible if its close to the end of a hilt section.

People have the recharge port to thread on the CT button in the past, only to find out that the threaded part of the recharge port cannot support the weight of their saber, resulting in a broken recharge port and damaged saber when it fell from their belt and hit the ground.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
    I think they are referring to having a covertec-looking kill key. So, this would go into the recharge port and act as the kill key, but have the head of a covertec. However, if you were to actually use the covertec as expected, you would then be hanging the saber off the kill key, which is not a good idea. But, if you don't hang it off the key, it would be just fine.

However, it might also be possible to epoxy a covertec clip to the saber, then drill through it and have a kill key nested inside the covertec. Not sure how I feel about that idea, but it is an interesting one. If you design the kill key "head" well enough to be able to easily get at it, you wouldn't have the stress of hanging the saber on the kill key. But then you would never be able to remove the covertec (not sure if that is an issue or not).

But, I wouldn't recommend doing this on the gear section as depicted above as it wouldn't sit right for the glue to hold well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    People have the recharge port to thread on the CT button in the past, only to find out that the threaded part of the recharge port cannot support the weight of their saber, resulting in a broken recharge port and damaged saber when it fell from their belt and hit the ground.
    I think I'm going to skip any covertec/recharge port combo at this time. Even though they are interesting suggestions (either a covertec kill key or trying to mount a recharge in the covertec button), that's a little bit beyond my know-how. Since this is my first saber, I'll keep it "simple" with a recharge in the box or in the pommel.