Thread: Blade Holder 18 - What screw options ?

Default Blade Holder 18 - What screw options ?

Hello guys,

I want to purchase the following blade holder: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...?ItemId=422146

As they don't come pre-drilled / taped, I wonder what would be the best location for the blade retention screw to go to ?

Also, what length of the screw should I get ? Since I don't know how thick the part is I want to be sure to order the right thing.

I thank you in advance for your answers.

Regards,

Azsde
    Last edited by Azsde; 05-26-2017 at 09:17 AM.

MHS Builder can give you a good idea of the part dimensions. The thickest (the flat section beneath the grooves) looks like it is about 3/16" thick. That is where I would expect a retention screw to go.

How long a screw is going to depend on what kind of screw you are using. The 8-32 thumbscrews in the shop would work fine. If you are going with a set screw, I would suggest a 1/8" long one. If you want something like a button head screw, I would get a 1/4" one, and plan on shortening it to exactly the length you need.

There's a lot of room for creativity with the retention screw on round emitters like this. Ideally on any emitter you'll want it somewhere that focuses pressure at a point where the blade has the most contact with metal. Anywhere from the fattest band (halfway) up would work well there.