Thread: 18650 Battery Question

Default 18650 Battery Question

Hello All

Is the TrustFire 18650 battery in the TCSS shop a Protected Li_Ion? All the other protected batteries seem to have a JST connector and and some sort of outer coating.

Also I am new to Li-Ion batteries so I am looking for information on why a recharge port is better than using a battery holder and external charger?

Is the battery holder dangerous in some way?

Thanks in Advance

Quote Originally Posted by hutch009 View Post
    Is the battery holder dangerous in some way?
    No; just inconvenient. Every time you need a fresh charge, you have to open up the saber and pull out the chassis, possibly remove the skin of the chassis, and so on. And every time you move the chassis you take the risk that you mess up the wiring -- though that's a small risk if you've designed it properly. On the TCSS YooToob channel, there are two videos about chassis, and Rob talks a little about the plusses and minuses of doing it each way.

If you plan on duelling, the battery can move within the holder causing the board to reboot and as Jenny says repeatedly opening the hilt could cause stress to wiring and unnecessary wear and tear. On the plus side, if you're at a con, you wanna be able to swap batteries out rather than find a power source and wait for charging.

Greenie

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    If you plan on duelling, the battery can move within the holder causing the board to reboot and as Jenny says repeatedly opening the hilt could cause stress to wiring and unnecessary wear and tear. On the plus side, if you're at a con, you wanna be able to swap batteries out rather than find a power source and wait for charging.

Greenie
    Thanks for the reply

Is there a way to stabilize the chassis/battery holder inside the hilt to keep it from moving around?
    Also I want to know if the Trustfire brand battery actually has the protection PCB installed in it.

Thanks in Advance

You can use the precut chassis disks to stabilize the guts side to side and by making the length of the assembly correct it will butt against the step down in ID inside the hilt and screwing the pommel on will provide the bracing to prevent movement front to back. If you are adding sound using the correct size speaker then this speaker holder has a lip on it that locks in place when the pommel is screwed on.
    Last edited by themadscientist; 05-28-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Even if you're not adding sound, the metal chassis disks will provide a stable anchoring point. I hate to keep repeating this, but Rob's videos on the TCSS YooToob channel answer many of these questions.

And I don't know about the Trustfire brand. Read the vendor description. If it doesn't say "protected," then probably not.

I believe all Lithium Ion batteries sold at TCSS have PCs protection.

There is only one Li-Ion cell sold at TCSS that is not protected, and it's this one: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Li...tery-P760.aspx It is for those that would like to build their own pack.

The trustfires are all protected, it is stated in the store description: "TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Lithium-Ion Battery (2-pack)"

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.