Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Qui-Gon Jinn custom saber

Default The Qui-Gon Jinn custom saber

so i've hit a bit of a snag here and would like some input and ideas on how i might be able to get around it. ive got everything wired up on the qui gon electronics, the 5w and the sound all work well, but im having a hard time fitting it back into the hilt. this saber has the 5w basic electronics kit from tim with a 6AA bat pack and using tims 1.25 blade holder. the pommel construction uses the mhs to 1.5 adapter and pommel 1. sound module is an 05 mr luke. shock sensor has been adapted to fit into the pommel section with the bat pack directly above it and the speaker will be fitted to the bottom of the heatsink. the problem im running into is the mr board is too tall to allow stacking the resistor and switch on top of it inside the 1.25 tube, but the saber isnt long enough to set them end to end and allow room for the speaker. another snag i found with this setup is i have to keep the stock mr switch on board in order to maintain the powerdown sound font, otherwise i powerdown the led with tim's switch and the sound shuts off immediately with it. here are pics of what im working with at the moment...

ive got to get this figured out and fitted into the hilt before i can finish up the fiberglass work on the inner hilt to get the final look of the saber. i had considered resizing the mr module to make room by sanding it down and removing the led header, but i havent done that type of modification to the mr boards yet and would really appreciate some input from anyone who has before atempting it. i also am working out placement of the mr switch along with tims so that i can control the led and sound power supply independently. once done this one should be pretty darn loud considering the dead space in the hilt that will be used by the speaker for resonance. please comment on this one guys, i can use all the help i can get!

Ryma Mara

On my hilt wha tI did was take a discarded pice of a stock MR blad eholder(the black piece), I cut a notch in it for the switch to slide into it, Wha tI did was I took the MY board and slid it inside with the wires wrapted around the board, then set the switch carefully just inside but angle it forward so when I slide it in the hilt the switch hits the hole.

Then I take my figer and push the switch into the hole and hold it up with my fingers or something. then take a flathead screw driver and puts the casing forward so essentualy the switch is on top of the board but is all encased into the black plastic pice.

Now you mightnot be abel to using the plastic parts but It might give you an idea about how you can stack the switch above the board.

If I can remember I will put some pics up later so shoe you what I did.

im working with a 1.25 inner hilt unfortunately ryma, if i had the id of a 1.5 then this would be no problem at all. the id im working with is also smaller than the space you have inside your mhs sabers, considering my entire tube will fit into darn near any of the mhs parts. there is simply not enough room for the sound module and the swich to occupy the same space, and there is only so far out i can mount the blade holder and lux assembly, so my only option i can see at this moment is modifying the luke module. i think also the maul/vader module is smaller, but dont quote me on that.

I don't know if this will work but it's an idea...

Have Tim make up a custom battery pack and inside the pack have him install a couple of smaller resistors with 3 leads off the battery pack. The smaller resistors should fin snugly inside the grove of the batteries and would be held secure by the shrink wrap.

1-Ground
    2-Positive
    3-Positive resisted

This assembly should be smaller than the battery pack you currently have, and you'd be eliminating the room taken up by the larger resistor.

I'll get some more info on this in a sec for clarification.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

would this be possible with my energy requirements with the 5w green lux running in this hilt? i still need to check in with the local rc shop to see what options they have as well. after all i want this to go rechargeable, its running standard batteries for the moment, but thats just for testing. let me know what you come up with...

Maybe ditch the AA battery route and get a couple LiIon cells. 2 LiIons would be the same voltage as 6 AA NiMH, but would take up less space.

that was another idea for space saving, gotta find time to get by the local rc hobby shop to see what options we can come up with for this setup. i am using the 6AA at this time simply because its what came with the kit and im used it to test my connections after setting my connections. i will eventually set this hilt up with a pli and recharge port, but i have to finalize my setup before adding everything in.

I've started my own Qui-God Jinn custom. When fully finished it will have a green K2, Erv's V2, and a rechargeable battery. AND be very screen accurate.

This is gonna take awhile so I thought I'd post pics as I go.

Taped off and all the cuts measured precisely.

Finished aluminum exterior.

More pics of the process at:
    http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...kau/Qui%20gon/

MC

Default qui gonn

mc, where did you find that spec sheet? i want one!!!!

Spec sheet was from here:
    http://www.sitharchives.com/

I've had bad experiences in the past with spec sheets that turned out to be less than accurate. So I've been cross referencing this one with everything I can find, and so far it's pretty good.

MC