Thread: Crystal Focus v8 Direct Drive Color Profiles?

Default Crystal Focus v8 Direct Drive Color Profiles?

Hello saber world! I come to you with a question about how the Crystal Focus v8 handles the LED behavior on color channel 2 when using resistors in pseudo-color mixing.

I am using a quad-Cree rB/rB/G/W. The rB’s will be wired in series to color channel 1. Green will be wired to color channel 2. White will be on color channel 3 for flash on clash.

My question: can I create two color profiles with this setup, so that the Green, on color channel 2, can be turned on and off by changing the drive value from 0 to 1500 (maximum) in the color profile settings in the override.txt file. For example, these proposed color profiles would be as follows:

(Color channel 1 and 2 both ON) color0=1000,1500,0,0
    (Color channel 1 ON, channel 2 OFF) color1=1000,0,0,0

Is this possible? In essence, I’m wondering if the Crystal Focus v8 can handle direct drive color profiles, like the Prizm can? Will this harm the board at all? If I am correctly understanding how the built in power extenders work, color channel 2 and 3 are turned on and off by control signals sent to each power extender (like during a flash on clash event), but am I missing something here? Has anyone tried this before?

Many thanks!
    .: SparrowHawk :.
    Last edited by .: SparrowHawk :.; 05-23-2017 at 11:11 PM.
    BinarySunsetDesign.wordpress.com

"Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky." -A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Yes, it can handle it, as long as you have it properly resistored. If you are using a 7.4V source, you will likely need to use an external resistor.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks, FJK, that's just the confirmation I needed Yup, definitely going to need a few external resistors with my 7.4V pack. Now I can proceed with the build without much worry. Thanks again!
    BinarySunsetDesign.wordpress.com

"Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky." -A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin