Thread: Super Noob NBv4 Questions

Default Super Noob NBv4 Questions

Hello All ,

I got caught up in the recent May the 4th sale frenzy and decided I wanted to upgrade my humble stunt saber with my own two hands.
    My credit card is still smoking....
    I decided that for this go round I want to reuse the RGB LED that came with the saber but I want to add sound, FoC, recharge port,RICE port and some color change capability.
    The NBv4 looks to satisfy most of my requirements but I want to make sure I really understand what the manual is trying to tell me.
    First Question:
    If I understand the manual correctly if I want to have total control of the color of my blade and FoC color meaning I want to be able to mix all three dyes(or some variation of the 3 ) I will have to add a Power Extender because the card only has 2 channels(pads) available. The only way I could use all three dyes with the card as is is to connect 2 dyes on one pad and connect the 3rd dye on the second pad. For example I want a purple main blade(Red and Blue) but I want my FoC to be a combination of (Green and Blue) this could only happen if all three Dyes are wired independently. Or after a time I am tired of a purple main blade and I decide I want an Orange main blade but I don't want to rewire my LED. I would just have to modify the config.txt file if each dye is wired to its own channel(pad). Is this right or am I way off?

Second Question:
    I can manually change most settings in the config.txt and override.txt files. but to be able to modify every setting all in one place I would need a RICE port in the hilt along with the RICE cable and software for NBv4. Which means additional wiring to the board. Can the NBv4 support a recharge Port and a RICE port, one accent LED and all 3 dyes wired up and a Power Extender all in one build? Is this a meltdown waiting to happen?

Third Question:
    I know the NBv4 supports one 3.7V 18650 protected Li-Ion battery okay cool but I've seen only batteries with JST connectors on the end of it; is this battery type safe to use with this type of battery holder? http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/18...lder-P886.aspx. Will the metal contacts at each end of the holder cause a short? I know I will have to cut off the JST connector to wire the battery to the board and recharge port but I am still working this out in my head.

I have watched a number of the TCSS YouTube videos great stuff; but at the moment the manual and vids just seem to spawn more questions.
    I have other questions but those are the main ones buzzing in my head at the moment. Hmmm.... maybe I shouldn't have drunk that grande mocha so late in the day after all

Thanks in Advance

First Question:
    Yeah, sounds like you've pretty much got it.

Second Question:
    You must manually make changes in the config and override.txt files. The NBv4 is not compatible with RICE. Other than that, though, the NBv4 can support all the things you mentioned just fine.

Third Question:
    If you were going to use that battery holder you'd probably want an 18650 without the JST connectors. I think you might want to look into the chassis parts instead: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ch...Parts-C74.aspx

Hi gerrylum,

Thank you for the great reply

3 questions down, only a zillion more to go