Thread: Battery Life Expectations? German Custom Build Saber

Default Battery Life Expectations? German Custom Build Saber

First of all, hello Community!

I'm new to the Saber Scene and also this Forum, and I have some questions regarding the replica I am currently using. It wasnt built by me, but by a German Sabersmith called Argentumsabers. Anyway, I need some info regarding the parts (and whether I have unrealistic expectations about them or not). First of all, the stats. It works properly (meaning no abnormal behaviour while normal usage) but has some... Issues.
    As far as I know it runs a Red TriCree LED with white FoC and a Nano Biscotte V3 Soundboard with 2 fonts. My problem is, that the saber starts making swing noises without any input (which is a sign of a low battery, as far as I know) after a bit more than an hour of literally just laying around. (So no FoC triggers, nothing. I literally just turned it on and put it on the floor to wait.) Is that a normal battery expectancy for a saber with a charge port & activated sound?
    Besides that, the constant swing noises get really annoying, cause the blade doesnt get dimmer and even continues to work for more than 30 min so the "warning" starts way too early. Is there a way to somehow fix that?
    Oh and also I have some general beginner Questions:

Does swinging/FoC triggering OR switching it off/on often actually influence the battery life?

Could I theoretically just delete the swing sounds from the card to make these annoying noises stop?

As a beginner with no mechanical or technical knowledge of saber construction in any way, how could I extend my sabers battery life using the config on the SD card?

I beg for your help experienced members, since I'm gonna attend a con in less than a week and would really fancy to fix that damn thing inbefore.

Greetings,

Luka

EDIT: If you need any pics of the saber interior tell me, I'll upload them right away!

Some sounds can trigger swings, particularly if there is a lot of bass.

All of the sounds are required for the Nano Biscotte to work right.

Do you know what battery is in it? Different capacity will mean different run times. A Nano Biscotte with a fresh battery should last a very long time with the blade off. Cheap Chinese knockoffs can't handle the current, and their capacity is a flat out lie.

No, don't delete sound files. Try lowering the sensitivity in the config files. Incorrect resistors can also cause errant swings. Usually, the board will cut out and reboot when battery life gets low.

You turned on your saber, and left it running for an hour before the errant swing sounds started? That's a fairly normal runtime on a single cell with a Tri-Cree.

As Greenie mentioned, you can try lowering the sensitivity in the config files, but that may not help much once the voltage starts getting low.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Why would it indicate low battery via swing sound 30 minutes before the battery gives out though? Per his post he's only chewed through a third of the battery life at that pointt. Seems really, really premature.

The low battery effect is caused by too low of voltage. The voltage of your battery will be affected by the remaining charge AND the current being drawn from it. If you're just using a NB and a single-die LED, then you can run the battery down lower before you get the "low battery effect". In this case, megurineluka is using a Tri-Cree setup with two LEDs running the main blade. There is roughly twice the current being drawn, which will reduce the effective voltage supplied by the battery.

If you try to run all three dice of a Tri-Cree, or even a Quad, then you'll get the "low battery effect" happening even sooner. It'll keep on running until the battery actually runs out of juice, but the low voltage causes goofy behavior from the sound board.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Well that sucks. I got a PRIZM a while ago because at the time it was the only board with trident. I'll be running 5 total LEDs (rebels not cree) on the same battery. I'll stop thread jacking now... sorry, megurineluka.