Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help/Advice on recharge port

Quote Originally Posted by darth.maledous View Post
    One last question regarding kill keys.. if I wanted to make my own, what materials would I need to do so.
    Nylon, polystyrene, HDPE, ABS... anything non-conductive that comes in a dowel.

Fix the chassis in place then lay the removable part of your hilt next to it, butted up to the threaded position and mark the horizontal.
    image.jpg

Mark the centre point from the RCP pin at the end of the chassis then screw the hilt together (make sure it's tight), remove the pommel and mark the vertical.
    image.jpg

For a kill key, the ballpoint pen idea is great. I've also used a straw (the thicker more rigid ones) from a kids drinking bottle and as riobrecht says you can get creative with all sorts of things to attach to it. (I think the Lego head was mine)
    After a while you start to see all kinds of things you can repurpose for this hobby.

If it helps I've seen a few recharge port holders on shapeways to attach to the chassis and still reach the end of the pommel.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Fix the chassis in place then lay the removable part of your hilt next to it, butted up to the threaded position and mark the horizontal.
    image.jpg

Mark the centre point from the RCP pin at the end of the chassis then screw the hilt together (make sure it's tight), remove the pommel and mark the vertical.
    image.jpg

For a kill key, the ballpoint pen idea is great. I've also used a straw (the thicker more rigid ones) from a kids drinking bottle and as riobrecht says you can get creative with all sorts of things to attach to it. (I think the Lego head was mine)
    After a while you start to see all kinds of things you can repurpose for this hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    If it helps I've seen a few recharge port holders on shapeways to attach to the chassis and still reach the end of the pommel.
    Greenie, thanks a million!! Thats what I was trying to figure out. Thanks for the response Warlock.

Glad you got the info you were looking for.

I bought the gold kill key from TCSS and want to swap out the plastic spacer for a longer piece. Anybody know how to separate the head from the plastic dowel without scratching up the finish? Are they glued together, threaded or is it just pressed in together?

You can buy kill key blank stock that are a couple inches long from TCSS and make your own kill key. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ki...e-6-P1086.aspx

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

I did buy the stock as you suggested. I covered the key head in heat shrink tubing which allowed me to grip it tightly enough without scratching with my pliers. Then used another set of pliers to twist and pull the plastic rod out. It was as I suspected, just press fit in. The new longer stock popped right in its place and is tight.