Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help/Advice on recharge port

Default Help/Advice on recharge port

Hi everyone. I'm hoping to get some advice/help with recharge port placement. I'd initially planned on using a pommel based recharge port when I first planned my build, but later decided that I wanted to have a reveal chassis. Is it possible, to have a pommel based recharge port and still have a reveal chassis? I'm thinking that maybe if I made the rc port wires long enough, I could remove the grip section and expose the chassis, but I kinda feel like it would look ugly. The chassis that I've decided on has a provision for a recharge port, so technically I could drill a hole in the 4" grip section to make room for the charger/kill key. With that in mind, what would be the best way to determine the position of the hole in the grip to make sure that it lines up with the recharge port on the chassis? I've included a drawing to explain what I mean.

Thanks,

recharge_port1.jpg

A lot of reveal chassis have the RCP and kill key built in to the reveal. That will be the easiest route to go, no holes and no pommel issues.

With the quality of deep sleep mode on the Plecter boards, you only need the kill key for long term storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Nurse View Post
    A lot of reveal chassis have the RCP and kill key built in to the reveal. That will be the easiest route to go, no holes and no pommel issues.

With the quality of deep sleep mode on the Plecter boards, you only need the kill key for long term storage.
    Thanks Darth Nurse; but in the event that I would want to add a hole to the grip, what's the method to line it up?

Thanks again

Have you gone to YouTube and watched the videos on the TCSS "channel"? In one of them, Rob shows how to line up a switch hole, which is a similar task.

Quote Originally Posted by darth.maledous View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm hoping to get some advice/help with recharge port placement. I'd initially planned on using a pommel based recharge port when I first planned my build, but later decided that I wanted to have a reveal chassis. Is it possible, to have a pommel based recharge port and still have a reveal chassis? I'm thinking that maybe if I made the rc port wires long enough, I could remove the grip section and expose the chassis, but I kinda feel like it would look ugly. The chassis that I've decided on has a provision for a recharge port, so technically I could drill a hole in the 4" grip section to make room for the charger/kill key. With that in mind, what would be the best way to determine the position of the hole in the grip to make sure that it lines up with the recharge port on the chassis? I've included a drawing to explain what I mean.

Thanks,

recharge_port1.jpg
    What you want is a little extension piece on the speaker end of the chassis to hold the RCP
    I can't seem to put it in words so I sketched it. [sorry for the crudeness of the drawing, didn't have time to draw it scale]

image.jpg
    Last edited by Greenie; 05-18-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Have you gone to YouTube and watched the videos on the TCSS "channel"? In one of them, Rob shows how to line up a switch hole, which is a similar task.
    Thanks. I've seen that video, but its' not what I'm looking to do. My internal chassis already has a space for a recharge port. I was asking how to drill a hole in the grip section that lines up with that same space. If you look at the attachment, you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    What you want is a little extension piece on the speaker end of the chassis to hold the RCP
    I can't seem to put it in words so I sketched it. [sorry for the crudeness of the drawing, didn't have time to draw it scale]

image.jpg
    Thanks Greenie; I was going to go that route initially, and Darth Ryo makes a chassis piece that looks exactly like that. The chassis that I'm using allows me to mount the RC port directly into; which in turn will be covered by the grip section of my saber. What I'd like to do is drill a hole in the grip section to access the RC port from outside the saber. I just need help with how determine where on the grip to drill the hole.

You're basically going to have to measure it. This is a method, not necessarily the best.

Assemble enough of your chassis, so the recharge port is installed. Fix the chassis into the hilt. Wrap a piece of tape around the hilt above the chassis, and mark a horizontal and vertical line. The vertical line should line up even with the pin of the recharge port. Measure from the horizontal line to the pin on the recharge port. Now, install the rest of the hilt. Measure the same distance from the tape down to where the recharge port is hidden. It can be tricky to get this right. I messed mine up a bit, and ended up having to drill a much larger hole.

You will probably need the long kill key to kill it through the hilt.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    You're basically going to have to measure it. This is a method, not necessarily the best.

Assemble enough of your chassis, so the recharge port is installed. Fix the chassis into the hilt. Wrap a piece of tape around the hilt above the chassis, and mark a horizontal and vertical line. The vertical line should line up even with the pin of the recharge port. Measure from the horizontal line to the pin on the recharge port. Now, install the rest of the hilt. Measure the same distance from the tape down to where the recharge port is hidden. It can be tricky to get this right. I messed mine up a bit, and ended up having to drill a much larger hole.

You will probably need the long kill key to kill it through the hilt.

Got it. Thanks rlobrecht, Greenie and Jenny. One last question regarding kill keys.. if I wanted to make my own, what materials would I need to do so.

Thanks again everyone.

Basically you need a solid tube of plastic about 2.1mm in diameter. The store sells it, but I used part of a ball point pen.

And then something to grab onto. Let your imagination go wild. The most unique I've seen is a lego figure head.