Thread: Damaged Pico Crumble

Default Damaged Pico Crumble

Hello,

I'm fairly certain I damaged my Pico Crumble sound card. I had to de-solder it and then solder it again. It's the negative battery terminal and I'm sure I applied too much heat to it. After I re-soldered it, the card wouldn't light up at all. I checked to make sure I didn't damage my LED and it was working fine. Does anyone think it can be fixed? Or should I just chalk it up to a life lesson and buy another one?

On the bright side, I had a 2nd Pico Crumble and I soldered it correctly the first time and it's great! I just need some advice on what to do with the other one I messed up.

Thank you.

First question would be if you have a ESD-Safe soldering iron or you accidentaly discharged yourself on the board. If you are really sure you applied too much heat to componet post a picture and let someone, who can see problems on electronics, take a look on it.
    Join me, join the dark side!

First, I don't think my soldering iron is ESD safe. I have a Weller 40-Watt soldering iron I bought at Home Depot. It's just a pen style soldering iron with 3 LEDs on it. Here is the link:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weller-40...NKUS/204195330

When I wired it initially, I wired the LED of the momentary switch to the positive battery terminal and the negative switch terminal. This was a major flaw in my design that I figured out the next day. So I removed the negative switch LED from the negative switch terminal. In the meantime, I was testing my other connections and I found that my negative battery terminal was badly soldered too and I attempted to fix it. This is when I'm sure I messed it up.

PC_Damage.jpg

In the attached pic, I highlighted the area where I think I burned it. This was the first sound card I've soldered. In my first lightsaber build, I bought a pre-wired Nano Biscotte. Happily, I learned from this experience and I soldered the 2nd PC card much better and it works very well.

Remove all the old solder with a de-soldering braid and clean it up.

I have never even touched a PC before, but the square you highlighted looks like big blobs of solder on the LED output from the little mosfets? The battery terminald are not as bad ?

Definitely clean it up and post pics again.

You might have left the soldering iron on too long as well, the solder joints were the mosfets are look like they reflowed a little and shed some flux.

Hello. Sorry I haven't responded in a while to this thread. I cleaned up the solder and carefully re-soldered on the other side of the sound card. It will not work at all. I'm sure I overheated the board and will not work now.

I will buy a new one and chalk it up to a painful learning experience. I will be much more careful on the next one.

Thank you to all who responded! I appreciate all your help and suggestions.