Thread: CF8 Wiring diagram check please

Default CF8 Wiring diagram check please

Hi all. Can I request one of you clever people to cast your eyes over my diagram please. My soldering skills are passable but I know VERY little when it comes to electronics and this is my first ever venture into something like this. I haven't included any accent LEDs as I'm not sure what I'm doing with those just yet.
    Have I got it right so far? Do I get a gold star? lol
    Saber_Wiring01.jpg

My Tri Cree LEDs voltages are...
    Amber forward v = 3.3v
    Red/Orange forward v = 2.57v
    White (flash on clash) forward v = 3.15v

The momentary switch LED runs 2v @ 20ma

I've already discovered that my CF8 board gets damn hot VERY quickly. I don't know if I have a short somewhere but I don't think I have. Upon asking on the UK Lightsaber group on Facebook I've discovered that the Aspire 18650 batteries I was using are unprotected so I was building a pipe bomb basically lol. I've now switched those for two 3.7v TrustFire 18650 3000mAh PCB Protected batteries from here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Tr...4627384&sr=1-3

Does the gauge of wire used have an effect at all? Reason I ask is that the wire I've used to attach my battery clip is a little on the thick side (Came out of an old PC).

A big thank you in advance for any advice etc. This forum is an amazing source of help and knowledge... Although my wife wouldn't say that, I've been ignoring her for days now whilst reading about saber stuff lol
    Last edited by Svee; 05-14-2017 at 02:22 AM.

Are you using your batteries in a 3.7V parallel configuration with the CF hack or in a 7.4V series configuration? If you're using 7.4V, your resistor values are way off, and even if you're using a 3.7V pack they're pretty iffy. Try calculating the values yourself using Ohm's law rather than using a resistor calculator or what someone else says.

As far as wire gauge goes, wire too large -> really messy wiring, and wire too small -> overheating. You should be fine using around 26 awg wire, and if you have a bit that's too thick it's not really a big deal as long as you can solder it nicely.

thanks for the reply NanoRex. I'm using 7.4v in series config. I'll go look up Ohm's law, thank you. I used an online resistor calculator before

lol yep my resistors were waaaay off haha. Heres v2. Hopefully i've got it right this time
    Saber_Wiring02.jpg

Switch LED
    Source v=7.4
    Forward v=2.1
    MA=20
    = 270 Ohm's, 1/4w

Tri Cree
    Amber
    Source v=7.4
    Forward v=3.3
    MA=1000
    = 4.7 Ohm's, 4.7w

Red/Orange
    Source v=7.4
    Forward v=2.57
    MA=1000
    = 5.6 Ohm's, 5.6w

White
    Source v=7.4
    Forward v=3.15
    MA=1000
    = 4.7 Ohm's, 4.7w
    Last edited by Svee; 05-14-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Always better to do the math yourself, calculators round up, sometimes more than is necessary.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

The power-on indicator pad you're using is a regulated 3.3V pad (not 7.4V), so you'll want to use that as your source voltage for your switch LED