Thread: Pico Sound lost idea

Default Pico Sound lost idea

I had to clean up and do some rewiring on by Pico Crumble, but I had an unforeseen short and lost sound. The chip above the sound leads has a blister on it so I assume it is fried. Everything else is fine; colors, coloring mixing, and FoC. I used my multimeter on the sound leads and there is nothing registered.

Here is my idea; is it possible to piggy back a hasbro board on for sound? I thought about connecting to the single 18650 battery for the hasbro sound effects only, and the Pico does the work for the tri LED. Will having 2 boards connected drain the battery too much or overheat it? I have a spare hasbro board so wanted to try to avoid spending money.

You could wire the power and switch in parallel, it may not be perfect but it would make both boards work. The on and off may not always end up in sync though, especially if the PC goes to sleep.

If you post a photo someone may be able to suggest a repair. It sounds like you burned out a trace and there may be a way to route that connection.

The chip above the speaker connections has the blister as you can see, I'm just suspecting the audio is fried.

The audio amp is indeed fried...you could ask about getting it repaired. The sound quality on the Pico is much better than what is on any of the Hasbro toy lightsaber sound cards. Also, to prevent further short circuits, I'd recommend not stripping the wires back so much from the ends like that, that is asking for problems when you install the electronics in the hilt. You only need to remove enough of the jacket to solder the wire to the pad.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I looked at plector labs website about a repair, I think in the end I might as well buy a new one. About the same price, possibly more. Thank you for the confirmation and the advice.

You can contact Zook here or Chewbacca on fx-sabers for a more economical repair option (at least in the US).

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    You can contact Zook here or Chewbacca on fx-sabers for a more economical repair option (at least in the US).
    yeah, this.^

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.