Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spork

Default Spork

Well, one of the running themes in my house is that someday my wife is going to stab me in the neck with a spork. It’s based on the idea that the little tines will dig in at first, but the spoon shape means that to really see the job through to its lethal end you’ve got to A) really, really want to do it and B) are willing to work for it. Ah, marriage! I find knowing my fate to be comforting, so why not build the tool that’s going to do the job?

We talked over some ideas, and she had two requirements: the blade had to be red, to go with the rubies in her wedding ring; and whatever the other thing was, eh, I wasn’t paying attention anyway. She picked out the colors for the powder coat and shroud.

So I present to the community for critique and commentary:

SPORK!

Petit Crouton 2.0
    Lightmeat (for now) w/ Madcow’s Shoto font boot (thanks Saberfont.com)
    7.4V battery pack
    2W bass speaker in reverse sound configuration
    Modified blade holder (thanks Tim!)
    Rebel Deep Red, no FOC
    Accent leds – red power indicator, red blinky in the pommel, turquoise-ish blinky below the box
    Jollipop Copper Orange powder coat and flat black paint/matte clear coat
    Black pigskin suede wrap on the aft end of the hilt, sewed with love by the hand of a man who hadn’t sewed a thing since that unfortunate Grateful Dead patch incident as a freshman in college, 1988

No wiring pics, because I “forgot” to take any of my sloppy wiring. The speaker, battery and PC are all shoved into the 4” extension that forms the back of the saber. There’s a chassis, of sorts, but in the board isolation department I failed miserably. I had installed the full Shoto font and it sounded great, lots of angry and energy, but I started getting lots of random swing and clash noises when it was just sitting there on but untouched. Back to lightmeat, because my wife’s not a Sith [Looks over a shoulder, just checking…] and it doesn’t do the random thing. The suede is glued on – sewed first, then slid on, rolled back, and affixed. Still need to tweak the timing on the blinkies and the swings.

Thanks for looking, and I’m looking forward to everyone’s comments.

Dig it. It matches the ring really well.

Excellent job, it actually looks like a saber a Sith female would wield.

Nice saber. Any sith master would be proud. Did you cut windows into that blade holder or was it done by time? Looks sick.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

Quote Originally Posted by jedimastergarcia87 View Post
    Nice saber. Any sith master would be proud. Did you cut windows into that blade holder or was it done by time? Looks sick.
    You mean Tim? lol

Cool, very cool.
    Sith Acolyte Saber completed

Thanks, everyone! Yep, Tim milled the windows in the blade holder for me, as well as the box mount and aux switch in the ribbed grooved piece. Oh, I should have thanked ARKM for the razor blade plug. Sorry - an oversight.

Very very nice saber!!! Thew story behind the name is funny as !@#$, My once threatend me w/ a spork too.....lol
    "A foolish man fights a fight he'll lose, and lose foolishly".

Thanks! She keeps it at her office and a lot of her fellow employees' kids stop by to play with it... let alone her boss. She had to chase a hollering three year old down the hall to get it back a few days ago.