Thread: Stupid LED question.

Default Stupid LED question.

I got a GGW TRI Cree LED for my first build. How do I know which LED is the white one? And for in the future for color mixing, how would I know which LED is which color?

Probably the easiest way is to touch the + and - for the die with your 3.7v battery for a sec to see what color it is Both of those colors have a max voltage higher than that so you shouldn't have any issues if you just touch it enough to light it up. Then once you find the white one use a sharpie or something to mark the base so you know which one is white.

Sometimes this is the only way. Some colors are indistinguishable when not lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzan View Post
    Probably the easiest way is to touch the + and - for the die with your 3.7v battery for a sec to see what color it is Both of those colors have a max voltage higher than that so you shouldn't have any issues if you just touch it enough to light it up. Then once you find the white one use a sharpie or something to mark the base so you know which one is white.

Sometimes this is the only way. Some colors are indistinguishable when not lit.
    That makes sense. Thank you for the help.

the battery way is risky,

Most multimeters have a diode function ,which will dimly light the die.

You may want to put a piece of paper between you and the LED so you don't blind yourself!