Thread: Does a crystal focus v8 non-RBG, tri-cree setup need resistors?

Default Does a crystal focus v8 non-RBG, tri-cree setup need resistors?

I'm starting my 2nd saber build after a successful NB build. Decided to ramp it up to the CF8. Wanted to do color mixing, but decided not right now since the CEx is needed.

Main question: do I need resistors for the LED's? It looks as though the board handles current regulation, but is that only for the main LED channel? I am planning on doing a green/green/white LED, but I might also do a redorange-red orange-white at some point, which is a big difference in voltages.

Would all three LED's be wired to the main LED pads? Parallel I would imagine?

I did look throgh the manual and on the introductory pages it did mention not needing resistors, but asking to be sure.

Thank you!

The main channel does not need resistors, but the other two will. For this type of set up, you'd likely put the two same color dies on the main channel in a series set up unless you do the single -cell hack (which would then use a parallel set up), and then using the white for FoC on the second channel with the appropriate resistor.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    The main channel does not need resistors, but the other two will. For this type of set up, you'd likely put the two same color dies on the main channel in a series set up unless you do the single -cell hack (which would then use a parallel set up), and then using the white for FoC on the second channel with the appropriate resistor.
    Perfect, thank you Jay-gon. Yeah, decided against the hack, though I usually prefer single cell setups. I will get the CEx someday, it is just too far outside my price range right now and isn't a priority.

As I already have a red-orange tri-cree (RO on all dies) module, I will want to make another one to use with the 2nd saber/CF8 to create a staff. All three should be able to be wired to the main LED pads then (or may wire one to FOC, will need resistor then).

However, would I need to manually change the LED current parameters in the config file first, or will it be able to "sense" what current is needed at startup and make changes accordingly? I looked through the manual on that one and didn't see it addressed.

You'll have to set the current in the config file, the board will determine the correct voltage for the led at the current you've selected. (If I'm remembering the manual correctly, that is.)

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.