Thread: Best CYAN

Default Best CYAN

Just curious what is the difference between using the Tri-Rebel with two Cyans vs Tri-Cree Green and Blue vs Tri-Cree Green and Royal Blue

It would all depend on how you mix the Blues and Greens.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

If you take a look at the output for those, you're going to get a brightest cyan from two cyan Rebels. (and the third white for FoC). At 350 mA[1], a cyan rebel puts out 83 lumins at a typical dominant wavelength of 505 nm, which is pretty well in the middle of the cyan color band. So two are about 166 lumins, and retain the 505 nm color.

With Cree XP-E2's in an RGB, looking at max output at 350 mA, your blue is about 30.6 lm, green at 107, and royal blue at 525 mW[2]. So if you drive them all at max, you'll get a very green cyan; if you lower the output of the green so it doesn't overpower the blue, you'll get a dimmer output.

Did that help at all?

[1]Yes, I know you're going to drive it harder than that. 350mA, however, is listed on the data sheets for all of the desired LEDs, so it's an apples-to-apples comparison.

[2]No, I don't know why the RB isn't measured in lumins, or how to convert the given measurement to lumins. So much for the apples.

You didn't mention which sound card. You can watch the Custom Color video for how to tweak the color using resistors.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    You didn't mention which sound card. You can watch the Custom Color video for how to tweak the color using resistors.

The heart has NB4 but the wallet is currently saying stunt.

Do what you can now, you can always upgrade with sound later.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

So, you didn't say whether you found my rambling about nano-meters and milliwatts interesting and / or useful, but today, I found an article which explains why royal blue LEDs are measured in mW instead of lm, and I found it fascinating. On the off chance anyone else is dorky like that, I thought I'd drop the link in here for your reading enjoyment.

I have been experimenting with single Luxeon Rebel LEDs and Lee Filters to find what I believe to be the best Cyan blades as I build my lightsaber. The look I have been going for is that original 1977 Theatrical Release ANH Cyan/Blue color. I say Cyan/Blue because I have always found it to appear on the bluer side of cyan. What I have come up with is three options depending on your personal preference. These are all being done while using a 3/4"OD white poly blade 37" in length. In person the color and brightness are even throughout the entire length of the blade, regardless of a 5 degree or 8.7 degree lens, however when using clear 3/4"OD poly lens I do recommend the 5 degree.

1- Luxeon Rebel Blue LED (NOT Royal Blue) paired with a single 514 Double G&T Lee Filter
    This provides a nice light aqua sky blue. The most blue of my 3 recommendations.
    2- Luxeon Rebel Blue LED (NOT Royal Blue) paired with a single 100 Spring Yellow Lee Filter
    This provides what I think is the most accurate to the 1977 cyan saber blade with a good balance blue and green (slightly more blue). This is however the dimmest of the 3 but still plenty bright.
    3- Luxeon Rebel Cyan Led
    This is hands down the brightest of the 3 options however it comes off as more of a mint green. Too green in my opinion to pass for a true Star Wars cyan.

I have found using Cyan or Blue/Green Lee Filters with a white LED to work poorly. They tend to be dim or washed out.

I have adjusted the pictures' color and light settings to show the true color in the blade. Ignore the outter glow and focus on the middle section of the blade to see a very close representation to the colors produced. And all pictures were taken in a well lit room. Hope this helps.
    Cyan1.jpgCyan2.jpgCyan3.jpg
    Last edited by Dapper03; 03-10-2018 at 12:37 PM.