Thread: How do I convert a bladebuilder to work with a CSS LED?

Question How do I convert a bladebuilder to work with a CSS LED?

Hi, I'm new here, and I was really hoping I could get help with this. I got the Rey bladebuilder saber with the hopes of transferring the sound card into a custom hilt and attaching a white Cree xp e2 LED. I'm very unfamiliar with electronics except for soldering and I can't make sense of diagrams I found online. Are there any transistors/resistors/etc. that I need, and how would I set them up? It would really mean a lot if I can get this figured out, as I'm trying to do this as an anniversary gift!

The 2010 Hasbro Tutorial will have the answers yous seek.

One thing to keep in mind, the bladebuilders speaker is 8ohm instead of 4 iirc. Some searching of the forum will have that answer.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BZWingZero View Post

One thing to keep in mind, the bladebuilders speaker is 8ohm instead of 4 iirc. Some searching of the forum will have that answer.
    Sweet! So if I'm understanding correctly, I'd just need the PNP transistor?

And this diagram should work, right?Diagram1.jpg
    Last edited by jomo; 05-04-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BZWingZero View Post

So the bladebuilder speaker is 16 ohms, so I'd need a 12 ohm resistor, but what about the wattage?

Yes, the diagram looks like it will work. The TIP42 is the commonly suggested transistor, but I like a logic-level MOSFET as they can react faster.

The blade builder's speaker is double the resistance of the speakers in the store, so you'd need an 8ohm resistor in line to a speaker from the store I believe. One of the other threads regarding the bladebuilders (keyword: teardown) should have the information you seek.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.