Thread: Vaderflex

Default Vaderflex

Hi Saber fans,

The side effect of my pain medication is that I became addicted to ebay auctions for a short while. I won this vintage graflex flashgun for about 60$.
    IMG_20170428_085550.jpg
    It was in good shape, I gutted it and I am planning on using the guts as part of the core.
    IMG_20170428_085629.jpg

The emitter is a bit large. It was from a 1990's era toy hasbro flashlight lightsaber (another auction).

What I have so far.
    IMG_20170428_091213.jpg
    This is really a practice for this pretty vintage heiland flashgun (yet another auction).
    IMG_20170428_085704.jpg

I hope to put an arduino powered core in both. Once I figure out how to get the arduino working....

And I had to put up a photo my biggest distraction. My therapy puppy: Ronin the Golden.
    IMG_20170428_092311.jpg
    Its sorta on topic cuz he is the same color as C3P0, amirite?

It occurs to me that classic camera collectors must hate lightsaber builders.

Great find.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    It occurs to me that classic camera collectors must hate lightsaber builders.

Many of them do. I've checked out vintage camera forums before, and they usually have sticky posts warning about "those $^&# Star Wars fans" trying to destroy classic camera equipment.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Many of them do. I've checked out vintage camera forums before, and they usually have sticky posts warning about "those $^&# Star Wars fans" trying to destroy classic camera equipment.
    I fully see their point. Its also making some rather rich I'd imagine. I would argue that a collection is never complete.

Most of the ebay auctions have "lightsaber" in the title. They are fully aware what they will be used for. Does one type of collector/tinkerer outweight another?. I imagine there are hundreds of old graflex cameras without flashguns sitting around idle.

I'll admit I had a little bit of guilt dismantling this unit, especially since it is not what the genuine article was made from (vader =MPP). Aside from the workmanship put into the flashgun, I fail to see the future use of such an item except as keepsake/art Deco for the shelves. They sure knew how to make things 50 years ago.

Anyhow, I hope to make it a new collectable!
    Last edited by Whosle; 04-28-2017 at 12:58 PM.

If you have access to a 3-D printer, you might be interested in some DV saber-parts I whipped up. Nothing here competes with anything TCSS makes or sells, all your electric/electronic bits ought to come from TCSS though, for sure! If nothing else, the screw-in pommels will keep you from destroying that nice hex end cap on the Heiland, and the slide on grip assemblies keep lots-o-glue or drill holes from being necessary.

Awesome! I've been looking for a decent Canon Y Model flash to do the same with. The RPF site as a custom saber thread with a TON of Flash made saber hilts from other flash styles than the Graflex and Hieland....Even one wicked looking Graflite hilt.

Nice work.....cute pup....