Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "inner" core question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "inner" core question

Hi everyone. I've seen a few saber builds where people have designed what appears to be aluminum "inner" cores; I've included a pic of what I'm trying to describe. My question is; is there something in the TCSS store that could be used to create something like that?

G-Core.jpg

Thanks in advance

I may be wrong but I don't think they do. I had very little luck finding tube with the perfect 1.25" OD but I have a lathe so I am able to turn thick walled tube to the ideal OD. Goodman made build logs for the saber you pictured but I believe a lot of his builds are turned from solid stock.

Greenie

You can build a normal MHS saber with removable sleeve material. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...l-12-P468.aspx

The tricky part is figuring out how to handle switches and other items that protrude from the core.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

That sort of crystal chamber / core is generally done by the more advanced practitioners of our craft. There are chassis parts in the store, but they're functional, not as artistic as what you've referenced. You could, as Silver Serpent suggests, build a core from MHS parts and overlay that with shroud material, but I think you're still going to run into the difficulty that you're not getting the artistic core you wish.

My suggestion? Either start learning metalworking (the mini-lathe site is a decent primer on what's involved in that) or seek out one of the custom sabersmiths who are willing to do such work. Otherwise, perhaps starting with a walk instead of a sprint might be in order?

Goodman's stuff is created using layers of material inside mhs. I suggest starting with 1.25 OD tube (the sinktube he sells here may work) and then making the cuts you need with a dremel.

1.25" sink tube should fit. It's not always a held to great precision, but it's cheap and available at your local hardware store, so you can always simply test fit pieces. There are also 1.25" pvc "sink tubes"

Blog Entries

I use lots of layers in my sabers, though I haven't really made anything nearly as awesome as the picture you posted. I get various sizes of aluminum tube from onlinemetals.com. I can't remember what size it is, but I get aluminum tubes that fit perfectly within the MHS hilts. I also get tubes that fit inside that one to make various layers. The hard part is working around switches.

Blog Entries

.... I have to remind myself to calculate wall thickness, inner diameter, and outer diameter. I like using thicker wall tubes, because it leaves a clean edge. Thicker wall tubes just feel better.

Great question. I'll be watching with interest.

If you go to arklightarsenal site there are build logs showing how he developed each core, like the one you posted. Lot of it could be done without a lathe, just depends on how adept you are at workarounds and how much you're willing to grunt and sweat.