Thread: NBv3 - Boot beep and no LED

Default NBv3 - Boot beep and no LED

I am not sure if the two are related, but I just finished my first wire job, and am close, but not all the way there.

It is an NBv3 and when it boots, it gives a beep and a mini reboot sound repeatedly. I haven't touched the SD card at all, so I am not sure it would be the files, but the manual seems to suggest so.

Additionally, the main LED doesn't light up at all. I am not sure if these are related, or something else, but I know it is getting power as the CC 5mm lights up just fine, as does the speaker of course. I tend to think it might be the switch, but I am not sure how that could be. Could the sound card issues cause the blade not to light up?

In case it helps, here is my wiring diagram:
    wiring.jpg

And here are some shots of the LED and switch. The joints looked OK to me, but I am by no means an expert.

LED_wire.jpg LED_wire2.jpg switch.jpg board.jpg
    Last edited by Rampant; 04-25-2017 at 01:00 AM.

Did you solder with the SD card in the board? It needs to be removed when you're soldering to avoid damaging it with heat.

Some of those solder joints need to be redone, the board + and - ones especially. You have a lot of exposed wire on several of your joints. This is likely to lead to short circuits later on. I would remove those wires, trim the exposed wire down, and redo them. You don't need much solder on the joint, just enough to attach the wire securely.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to confirm, the main LED should light without the card, yes? No one around me stocks desolder braid, so I will have to wait a bit to try go over again. But, if there is a short, why are the other parts working?

I don't think I soldered with the card in, but with me, anything is possible. Will double-check the card.
    Last edited by Rampant; 04-25-2017 at 06:18 AM.

It will not light without the card, this is where the settings are stored.

So, the MircoSD appears fine -- I was able to load in on my computer and see the files no problem.
    I re-did the connections on the board, and I get the bootup sound and no beep. But, now no 5mm LED light (I might have damaged the DynaOhm in an unrelated issue though) and the switch won't do anything. No light, no startup sound. Double-checked wires and everything seems like it should be correct.

board-wire2.jpg

Don't think I blew the board since the bootup sound works just fine. Not sure what else it could be though.

I might have to find someone local (Orange County, CA) to look at this.