Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to make a cane saber... What would be suitable for that?

Default Wanting to make a cane saber... What would be suitable for that?

So I would like to make a cane saber with a purple blade. and I am limited to 3/4" blade. I am making a 3d printed version off thing-a-verse. I am a 200lb person. Anyone have any suggestions on building a suitable blade. I was thinking of a tube in a tube. maybe 3 tubes. anyways I am open to suggestion.

are you dressing an existing cane or making something from scratch? I wouldn't count on the 3D printed grip holding your weight.

Why the 3/4" restriction, is it because of the 3D model?

I think ideally you would use at least the 1" thick, but since that isn't purple you may be able to use the 1" thin wall. Getting the light to project down the blade might be difficult, but you could use an aluminum center tube for the structural strength. For this sort of thing a tube will be stronger than a rod. You could try a purple 1" blade, with a 7/8" clear blade and a 3/4" aluminum core with a threaded rod down the middle to tie it together.

Just some ideas, maybe someone else has something better!

Well this is the model I am working with. http://www.thingiverse.com/make:179634 it is set up for 3/4"

And my PLA prints are quite strong. I did 1mm walls and 25% fill. Trust me its solid. I have put a bit of weigth on it, to test it. Much more than I will actually apply in use.

Only part that is questionable is the center "clamp" section. Which I have decided to replace with with sink tube if I can. I am still working out all the details. And yes a multi layered tubing is stronger than rod. I was thinking 3 layers of tubing, 3/4", 5/8", and 1/2" OD. That way I have 3 layers of 1/8" tubing. I could make the 1/2 the metal tubing still. Though there is still the issue of how to mount all of this, with still having illumination. I have a donor board from rey's blade builder. and I am still working on the styling in my head and waiting for parts from china. But first comes how to get it working well as a cain. While maintaining the illumination. Which I think are going to be 2-4 threaded tubes drilled in to the plastic like cross hairs that extend over the plastic and and over the tubing edge but only as far as the edge. not hanging over the hollow center. This would allow me to attach the sink tube. Or maybe I will just have a machine shop machine out a disc with 2-4 screw points. I really wish I had access to a lathe. Or maybe I can braze some threading copper tubing to the cross hair pattern I talked about before. I need to think about this.

but your plan would block of the light from the LED.Its a solid idea but wont work for my application. Unless you have some of that transparent aluminum tubing. Oh right, wrong universe. A long long time ago, not 24th century. haha.

What do you think?
    Last edited by gammax; 04-25-2017 at 02:05 AM.

I have a saber cane that I made for myself. It's using a 1" thickwalled blade from TCSS, with a standard rubber furniture foot on the end. It's plenty sturdy, and illuminates well. I don't know anyplace that carries 3/4" polycarbonate tubing in a thickwalled variety, though I have seen a few places selling canes made from acrylic rods. You might be able to get one of those and cut it to length.

Oh, and transparent aluminum is a thing now. Expensive, but it's available. Guess we didn't need to wait for the 24th century after all.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

You could make a 3/4 core and put a 1" thick wall over it. A search of "lucite cane" may also bring joy.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    You could make a 3/4 core and put a 1" thick wall over it. A search of "lucite cane" may also bring joy.
    I can't find purple canes. But ya. I think I might do something like that. Basically this girl wants purple.

Oh, and transparent aluminum is a thing now. Expensive, but it's available
    Really? Cool where can I find it. Give us a link. Wait a minute ... *looks around suspiciously* did somebody write the word "gullible" on my forehead again? Doh! (or more appropriately... KAAAAAHN!!)

Aluminium oxynitride is a real thing. It's a clear ceramic.

Yep, that's the stuff. I'd forgotten the name of it.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

For that matter, crystalline polymorphic phase aluminum oxide (α-Al2O3) is transparent, constructed in rods, and extremely durable. But unless your pockets are much, much deeper than mine, a sapphire rod isn't really a solution to this question.