Thread: New toy....

Default New toy....

I decided after much internal debate it was time to purchase a new lathe. This will be my third. There are days when I miss my Sherline! However getting a bench lathe has allowed me to do a wider variety of tasks. My current Grizzly G516 is going to my beloved brother for his birthday...may his fingers remain intact...I searched and studied and finally decided. The new lathe is a Grizzy G9972Z 11' X 26". That is the largest my garage would accommodate without re-wiring and giving up my parking place. Can't wait! It should arrive Tue or We'd next week..This one has a steady rest and follow rest as well as a gearbox...the latter should make threading much easier...so no more set-screws holding my parts together....�� Some pics..image1.JPGimage2.jpgimage3.JPGimage4.jpg
    Last edited by k6gad; 04-22-2017 at 07:18 AM.

Looks good. I'm sure you learned a lot from your last two, but if you could do it all over again would you have just got this one to begin with? Thinking of getting one for myself, but I don't want to buy three. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    Looks good. I'm sure you learned a lot from your last two, but if you could do it all over again would you have just got this one to begin with? Thinking of getting one for myself, but I don't want to buy three. Thanks!
    No...it was much better starting on the Sherline, very high precision high quality. Only disadvantage is capacity, and manual feed.
    I'd still have it if I didn't need larger capacity for other projects.

Blog Entries

Nice. Good luck with it.

You can get a power feed for the Sherline. I just picked up a a bunch of tools, the compound slide, threading attachment and QCTP so I'm going to hold off in the power feed for now.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Good to know, thanks guys. k6gad I'd love to see what you end up producing with this fine piece of machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Nice. Good luck with it.

You can get a power feed for the Sherline. I just picked up a a bunch of tools, the compound slide, threading attachment and QCTP so I'm going to hold off in the power feed for now.
    Yup.. they had it when I purchased mine but it cost as much as the machine then. The main advantage to using a power feed is you don't no up with a forearm like Popeye and you get a smoother cut. Lol... imho...
    They had the threading attachment back then as well I just didn't have the fortitude to buy it and teach myself to use it.

BTW ... did you get your machine yet?
    I found the steady rest a great help.. the 3 jaw chuck Sherline makes is very high quality but when you turn a piece say 1.3" and up and any length longer than 4-5" the tail end will wobble a bit giving an uneven cut if you are not using a tailstock. This makes end drilling a challenge. The steady rest solves that problem by supporting the tail of your work. I'd love to hear how you like your Sherline. Someday when I retire my wife and I plan to spend extended time in our RV, I will buy another Sherline so I can turn on the road!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by k6gad View Post
    Yup.. they had it when I purchased mine but it cost as much as the machine then. The main advantage to using a power feed is you don't no up with a forearm like Popeye and you get a smoother cut. Lol... imho...
    They had the threading attachment back then as well I just didn't have the fortitude to buy it and teach myself to use it.

BTW ... did you get your machine yet?
    I found the steady rest a great help.. the 3 jaw chuck Sherline makes is very high quality but when you turn a piece say 1.3" and up and any length longer than 4-5" the tail end will wobble a bit giving an uneven cut if you are not using a tailstock. This makes end drilling a challenge. The steady rest solves that problem by supporting the tail of your work. I'd love to hear how you like your Sherline. Someday when I retire my wife and I plan to spend extended time in our RV, I will buy another Sherline so I can turn on the road!!
    They did! Everything in the pic I posted in my thread was included. So I'm set with the steady rest. Can't wait to get started. I just mounted the mill to a board last night and waiting to get my next shipments so I can true it all up and mount the lathe to the board.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末