Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battle Damage (aka Happy Accident...)

Default Battle Damage (aka Happy Accident...)

So, as the immortal Bob Ross said "There are no mistakes, just happy accidents."

Well, when I picked a spot for my blade retention screw, I paid no attention to the thickness of the material in that spot. The spot is too thin and does not hold a screw by enough threads for my piece of mind. So, instead of simply drilling another and having an eyesore screw hole there... I took the nuclear option...

Marked out my area.

After Dremel and file work.

Good ole Aluminum Black...

Now we are in business with my first blaster damage/window mod!

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Looks great
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I agree with Strydur, that came out great!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Wonderful detail work.

Nice job thinking about where the ejecta would strike, as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    Looks great
    Thank you, Tim (and everyone else)!

I was almost going to just order a new emitter and do it the right way, then the idea popped in to give this a shot.
    Last edited by Darth Nurse; 04-20-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Blaster damage...I always wondered what gouges like this were supposed to be. That actually makes a lot of sense. I've always been confused when people added damage like this because metal would never look like that from normal damage. Works well for a blaster bolt though!

Just curious, how thick was the material section with the screw? I also have mine in a very thin section of my blade holder and I'm wondering if it might be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    Blaster damage...I always wondered what gouges like this were supposed to be. That actually makes a lot of sense. I've always been confused when people added damage like this because metal would never look like that from normal damage. Works well for a blaster bolt though!

Just curious, how thick was the material section with the screw? I also have mine in a very thin section of my blade holder and I'm wondering if it might be problematic.
    Yeah, I'd imagine it have to be a stronger than normal blaster (like a Wookie bowcaster) and a spot like that it would have been stopped/deflected by the blade, so the saber itself would not be taken out of commission. I figure the jedi left the mark as a reminder.

The material was thin enough that 2/3 of a 1/8" set screw was still sticking out. It would fall out with less than a half turn.
    Last edited by Darth Nurse; 04-20-2017 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Nice job thinking about where the ejecta would strike, as well!
    Thank you. I figured with this hitting the emitter, then the blade underneath there would be blast outward as well.