Thread: Doing a Hasbro Mace conversion/service, need advice

Question Doing a Hasbro Mace conversion/service, need advice

Hello, guys,

I am extremely new to the lightsaber scene, and I am honestly super excited about it. I am currently in the process of doing a complete conversion of a Hasbro Mace Windu FX lightsaber to a PC tri-rebel setup, and I've reached the point where I do not have the time to do it anymore. I have everything purchased to do it save for the supplies to actually put it together, I just don't have the time to put it all together. I researched a conversion service and this guy says he will do everything for $165 (everything being installing battery, recharge and RICE ports, switches, PC board and LED, prep for blade, custom chassis, etc.). He usually does normal Hasbro/FX conversions, in which the normal soundboard is kept and only a single LED wired, for about $100. In the eyes of you experts, is the $165 a decent price to put everything together for the PC conversion? Might it be more worthwhile to work on it on may own maybe when I have some more time?

Basically, I just want some input to make sure I'm getting the bang for my buck.

JoJo

(Also, I hope this is the right place to ask for this type of advice!)

sigh I now look around at the other threads in here and see that I'm in the completely wrong place... Well, I guess we'll see how this goes.

Honestly that's going to be really a matter of perspective. If it's worth that to you to have someone else doing it then it's worth it. IE how much is your time worth to you ?

That said. Having started here with converting my MT Anakin just to single led and just now finishing my first TCSS hilt I'll say it's been a wonderful experience in and of itself. I know the ends and outs of this blade at least from a hardware perspective. Still learning the sound board config obviously.

And welcome to the site!

Hi Jojo,

I suppose I can try and help you with an answer. I'll try to do so without bias.

$165 is a "good price" for what you are asking to have done. I would say that you want to be sure that you are getting everything in writing for the work you want done. Just make sure that you get the individual's credentials, check and see if he has any other customers that he has had "financial transactions" with, etc. I say this because there are "Saber Smiths" out there, with portfolios of their work, good reputations, etc. And there are "garage" hobbyists, who know how to solder. there is a vast difference in the two. So, if you are asking for advice on this matter, I would ask a lot of questions of the individual, seek others who have used the person, and ask questions (does he warranty his work, how long will the project take, is he asking for all of the money up front or does he have money / materials to do the work).

I hope this helps you! I also agree with the above statement. It is a lot of fun and rewarding to work through building your saber. And there are always folks out there that can help.

Good Luck! and MTFBWY!

Jon