Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pair of Proto Kylos (pic heavy)

Default Pair of Proto Kylos (pic heavy)

Hey everyone! Wrapped these up a couple days ago. They are based off the illustration from a SW book of a prototype of the Kylo Ren saber. Not a crossguard. Scratch build, electronics from the TCSS. Thanks for taking a look and all criticism welcome!

Specs:
    Scratch build aluminum and some brass
    CF8 (hacked)
    tri-cree xpe2 RRW
    bass speaker with reverse sound ( speaker is directly below and vented through the crystal chamber)
    3400mah 3.7 batt
    heavy weathering with aluminum black and enamel
    red powdercoated pommel

source material and initial plans ended up doing a smash up between this and the kylo saber from TFA

there is also a simple core but I had a mental shut down and forgot to take pictures of that. there will be a video at the bottom that will show it.

some build pics

hilts main shape roughed out

3 main parts emitter/cc, lower inner hilt, lower outer hilt

led heatsink, CC and speaker module

fins for the lower hilt. they started off larger and then I took them down a bit.

boxes for switches and plis also in the background you can see the original fins and how big they were!

things starting to take shape

I did a bunch or test for types or weathering. I machines a few slugs that looked like a rough silhouette of the sabers I was making and did different combos including black enamel, aluminum oxide, powdercoating, acid baths, and combination off them together. some pictures of the results the last picture is the one I went with. its sanded then aluminum black oxide, with enamel over top and then taken off only leaving it in crevices and low spots.

cc's

weathering the cc and added the red crystal (which was a journey in itself getting the red crystal)

accent led solder

switches

hack and smd resistors installed on accent pads

video there's a simple core feature too that's in the video. I did not take any picture of it or I can't find them

Thanks for taking a look!!!

that is pretty cool! looking to dual-wield those? great detail!

Quote Originally Posted by Ris Liam View Post
    that is pretty cool! looking to dual-wield those? great detail!
    nah... more for show

Those are beautiful. Amazing stuff as always. I'm a fan of your work.

Greenie

Incredible work!

That is amazing! I saw that image in the Art of book and thought that would be a cool saber to make (not that I ever could). Now that I see it in person, it is even better than I thought.

Very cool.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Blog Entries

That's completely amazing! Everything about it is awesome. I'm particularly struck by the weathering. Cool.

You did an amazing job of bringing the concept art to life. These sabers are beautiful!

Very very cool looking.