Thread: LED resistor and wiring question

Default LED resistor and wiring question

Hi everyone. I REALLY REALLY hate to ask this question, but I just want to be sure that my understanding is correct;

I'm planning on using a Tri-Cree LED. Am I correct in that I use Ohms law for each of the LED's ? For example, if I'm using Red/Red/Amber, I should use Ohms law to calculate resistor values for each of those colors right? My next question is in regards to wiring; In the same scenario, Red/Red/Amber, could I wire the Red's up so that they share a common positive ? If so, would each of the Red's need it's own resistor?

Thanks in advance.

In short,yes, yes and yes

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    In short,yes, yes and yes
    Thanks Greenie! If you don't mind I have one more question.. Same scenario, Red/Red/Amber. Both Red's get a resistor, as does the Amber. I'll be using a crystal chamber also. What type of 5mm LED should I use for the crystal chamber to get it to match the color of my blade? I know that if I were using an RGB LED for the main LED, I'd use an RGB 5mm LED and that would take care of it. Seeing as though I'm using Red/Red/Amber, is this even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by darth.maledous View Post
    Thanks Greenie! If you don't mind I have one more question.. Same scenario, Red/Red/Amber. Both Red's get a resistor, as does the Amber. I'll be using a crystal chamber also. What type of 5mm LED should I use for the crystal chamber to get it to match the color of my blade? I know that if I were using an RGB LED for the main LED, I'd use an RGB 5mm LED and that would take care of it. Seeing as though I'm using Red/Red/Amber, is this even possible?
    If you can find a Red/Amber 5mm LED.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    If you can find a Red/Amber 5mm LED.
    yeah right.. that's kinda what I thought. No worries, I'll use a red 5mm led. Thanks guys!

If you can't find the colour you want my trick is to use a white with a filter. Lego works well.

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    If you can't find the colour you want my trick is to use a white with a filter. Lego works well.

image.jpg
    You think of everything don't you Greenie?? I'll try that out for sure. Need an opinion on something.. for the main LED, what would DarkRed/OrangeRed/Amber get me with color mixing? I'm looking for super deep red core with a fire like outer aura.

Thanks!

I think that combo will end up being a very red orange, but you won't get the effect you are looking for. You can try using the yellow day blade or the amber enhanced blade. I have the amber enhanced and fired it up with my tri-red-orange and thought it looked amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    I think that combo will end up being a very red orange, but you won't get the effect you are looking for. You can try using the yellow day blade or the amber enhanced blade. I have the amber enhanced and fired it up with my tri-red-orange and thought it looked amazing.
    Thanks for the reply. You mind posting a pic of what your blade looks like when it's lit up? Thanks