Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Saber build log - Aegnor's Soulless

... I'm... Not... Dead.

I have more time now and I at last received the graflex clamp to complete the hilt:
    DSC_0713.jpg

Here I now have to machine the hilt to get the internal led visible.

I also started to work the various chassis parts:
    IMG-20170908-WA0007.jpg

More to come.

Regards

I just read your entire thread, and I wish you luck on the install. I am excited to see the finished saber. Your engineering has been impressive here. I admire your ingenuity and tenacity on your first saber build! I was not quite as complex with mine. My first saber was crazy long, with tons of unused space. I am currently going back into it to fill much of that empty space with new gadgetry to make that saber better. Good luck!!!!

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Hi, Tom!
    Thanks for your encouragements!
    I know it is challenging. Maybe too much, I would say... I got a lot of issues with 3D printed stuff that is not reliable enough and I have to replace some parts with metalic hand made tiny bits... :P

The lenght is an issue, too: I started with placing all that I wanted into the hilt, and did not realize the actual length... A number is very different from having a hilt of the given length in the hand... That may sound stupid but I'm always suprised to see how I'm not able to have an actual and realistic idea of a projected design into reality... Well... The saber is long but at the end, comparing with a graflex, it is "acceptable"

More images and videos to come. (nothing relevant for now: I only struggle with crystal chamber building and spend a lot of time sanding the plastic parts... )

Anorr

Hi!

Here is where I am in the build: I tested my electronic and started to mount the crystal chamber.
    DSC_0724.jpg

I also aligned the saber parts...
    DSC_0733.jpg

I premounted the chassis to check structural consistency. It works. Many work to sand down stuff to correct size...
    DSC_0761.jpg

Then I started to paint the chassis using technics explained by Mike from MB Sabers.
    Preparation :
    DSC_0762.jpg

First paint:
    DSC_0772.jpgDSC_0773.jpg

Brushing/polishing:
    DSC_0776.jpgDSC_0779.jpg

Weathering (using rusting solution adapted to iron-based paint):
    DSC_0780.jpgDSC_0782.jpg

A simple before/after weathering:
    DSC_0778.jpgDSC_0784.jpg

Now, I have to seal/varnish the paint, increase the hilt internal place using a rotating-tool because all this paint prevents the chassis to get in easilly...

At last, I'll have to cram all the electronic in this... And I noticed before: it will be very hard ^_^ Starting with the switches that I already have issue with: contacts are very hard to place due to very few space for mounting the graflex clamp and the switches and then to weld the wires from the inside of the hilt... Yes... Engineering/Design issue

More photos of this to come.

See you all!

Anorr

That looks very old and neglected. Nice job.

Amazing chassis !

I'm close to the end.

I stuffed the châssis: it was hell! Too many wires, not enough place... As espected. I got an issue with the aux button that seams to trigger anytime and I sectioned the blue LED wire when closing the hilt... Got some rework...
    DSC_0837.jpgDSC_0847.jpgDSC_0857.jpgDSC_0856.jpg

And I finished on the other side the hilt weathering. I'm a bit proud of it, for a first hilt weathering attempt! Many thanks to the forum for the technics!
    DSC_0873.jpg

Once I fixed my problems, I post a video of the saber!

See you all, and thanks for the support!

Hello!
    I'm done with the saber and it has been offered!

Here a show video (in french)

Now. I'm working on a classic ESB Graflex

Thanks for all your advices!

Paul