Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Saber build log - Aegnor's Soulless

Default Saber build log - Aegnor's Soulless

Hello!

I'm new to this hobby and I started a not-that-long-time ago to read the forum and search for ideas and technics. (And I'm not english native speaker, so I ask for mercy when my grammar is inconsistent )

Well, then I decided to make a saber for a very good friend who get married soon. The saber is supposed to be related to a rpg character (a dark jedi) and the design reflects the twisted mind of the fallen hero.

Saber is built upon TCSS parts and a graflex clamp. I use a CF8 sound board with a lot of (usual) stuff attached to it: a recharge port, a RICE port, three accent LEDs and a Blade mimiking crystal (RGB LED). There are a power switch, an aux switch and a tangible font selector (a press button attached to the crystal holder).

I went into a lot of trouble designing the chassis as the parts are very narrow and I decided to use a 18650 Li-ion battary The saber is long (11") and I managed to place all the stuff in it, at least on the bluprints

For this first post, I provide the wire-design along with a inside-view of the saber. Don't hesitate to tell me if you notice something weird or incorrect in the wiring. It's my first work with sabers and I can't dodge every trap despite my reading of the forum

Electric.jpg

See you soon for an indepth view of the saber design, chassis design and at last, when all is validated and printed... the build!

Anorr

Depending on what the exterior of the hilt looks like, that looks like an awful lot (pretty close to too much) to try to cram into your first saber. Things that look nice on paper rarely work out quite as well in person.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Hi!
    Thanks for your note. You are right: that's maybe too much and I have to try hard to get all stuff in it. But I agree: I go in a real challenge
    I first 3D printed a part of the chassis to probe for design failure and space issues... Then fixed a part of them
    I eventually made use of old computer IDE cables to have all component related wires at the same place and very thin enough to place and go where expected.

The exterior is very simple, by the way: pure TCSS parts I have to weather a bit.

WhatsApp Image 2017-03-30 at 13.25.12.jpg (cheap photo where the clamp is missing; not the best design ever, I confess, but it pleases the future owner )

More soon!
    Last edited by Anoril; 04-13-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Nice section cuts; thing is stuffed to the gills.

Quote Originally Posted by ls-event View Post
    Nice section cuts; thing is stuffed to the gills.
    Yes... I was supposed just to make a Crystal Chamber but I did not managed to stop my hand drawing... The CF8 cannot be left floating in the void, true? And so on...

Do you have the I.D. of the ribbed extension shown at 1.25 inches? If so, that is off, as the ribbed pieces have an I.D. of only 1.15 inches.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Yeah your gonna run into BIG (pardon the pun) space problems inside the ribbed section. Love the way they look but they make for some more interesting cram-fu. Oh and I like the simple look of the saber. Weathered it will have a nice Dark side feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalan the Exiled View Post
    Love the way they look but they make for some more interesting cram-fu.
    Main bodies have an internal diameter of 1.25" -- 31.75 mm.
    Ribbed sections have an internal diameter of 1.15" -- 29.21 mm.
    Chokes have an ID of 0.8" -- 20.32 mm.

That difference of not-quite three millimeters doesn't seem like a lot, until you actually start trying to get stuff into it.

Reference: Chassis Disk style 2 text

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Do you have the I.D. of the ribbed extension shown at 1.25 inches? If so, that is off, as the ribbed pieces have an I.D. of only 1.15 inches.
    Hi, yes, that's true! I initially made my first design with the provided dimensions and was surprised when the parts arrived to see that the ID was wrong. I rework all the chassis with my own measurments

For this purpose, I modeled the pieces in 3D with the "almost correct" dimensions and they are available in STEP/STL format for who asks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Main bodies have an internal diameter of 1.25" -- 31.75 mm.
    Ribbed sections have an internal diameter of 1.15" -- 29.21 mm.
    Chokes have an ID of 0.8" -- 20.32 mm.

That difference of not-quite three millimeters doesn't seem like a lot, until you actually start trying to get stuff into it.

Reference: Chassis Disk style 2 text
    Yes! My prototype hardly entered the ribbed section the first time! I always take some margin for errors and with no paint and no sanding, it was hard to push inside. But don't worry, I'm new to sabersmith, not to crafting! ;D