Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Sherline Mill and Lathe

Thank you so much for doing that D.C. Very kind of you.

Blog Entries

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Blog Entries

To provide a little perspective.

First pic shows clearance over the cross slide for a standard 1.45" OD MHS extension. 2nd shows a 1/4" tool bit that does not pass through. So if you plan on turning anything over 1.6" OD you would need the risers for the headstock, tailstock, and tool post. As well as the riser for the steady rest if you were to do a long piece.

Yes that helps, thank you. I think 1.6 inches is plenty. If your just sticking to sabers I see know reason why you would need any more room. Also 7 inches in length should be plenty too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    Yes that helps, thank you. I think 1.6 inches is plenty. If your just sticking to sabers I see know reason why you would need any more room. Also 7 inches in length should be plenty too.
    Actually, I posted that to show that you most likely do need more room. Brush up on those sources I sent you. It will eventually start to make sense.

Blog Entries

After many failed attempts, pieces flying out of the chuck and pulling out of hair I have finally turned my first...er scratch the hair pulling... successful piece! Only took two weeks :/

Still needs to be cut to size and some mill work to be done but I have to turn a different piece first and mill them together.

Looking good DC. Nice work except the 'flying pieces' Good things coming soon I guess. Oh and congrats on the crystals and DCLS006, you're a very busy man.

D.C. That look fantastic, great work! Is that a solid piece of brass you turned?
    Last edited by Jediseth; 06-05-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Looking good DC. Nice work except the 'flying pieces' Good things coming soon I guess. Oh and congrats on the crystals and DCLS006, you're a very busy man.

Thanks. Busy indeed but it's a fun kinda busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    D.C. That look fantastic, great work! Is that a solid piece of brass you turned?
    Thanks. Yes. Started at 1.25". Turned down the major OD to 0.999 :/ just missed the mark. The minor OD is .4245 even closer to the mark on that. I nailed the length of the step at .125. Centered drilled to 5/16 and I just eyeballed the chamfer.