Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sherline Mill and Lathe

This is what I was talking about, mount the rotary table vertical and use the tail stock to hold the other end of the work and you can make concentric cuts at a given depth parallel to the surface of your work.. very cool stuff!3700_pic.jpg3702_pic.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    I sense some amazingness coming in the near future!
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdVizjerei View Post
    ^^^This!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Considering what I've seen you make *without* such tools...I'm expecting minds to be blown.
    You guys are way too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Denz View Post
    This is exactly what you need for making crystal chambers and other small parts. Watchmakers / Clockmakers really like these sized machines.

-Denzil
    Indeed. I bought them mostly to make interior goodies!

Quote Originally Posted by k6gad View Post
    Sherline makes an awesome product. I think you will find the quality outstanding. They have a TON of accessories as well. This was my first lathe/mill and I loved it. The only reason I got rid of it was I needed more capacity than the Sherline could offer. If you have not purchased the risers you should. It will help in turning larger material. Also I would recomend their rotary table and tailstock mount. You can index drilling very easily on the mill by attaching both to the milling table. You just dial in the deg and line it up and bam! I am fortunate to live a few miles from their Vista facility! It is awesome.. if I ever had questions I could just run down there! Don't let anyone tell you this isn't a serious machine. For many things it is superior to a full size mill/lathe/drill set up!
    Thanks for the info. Good to hear from a previous owner. Your sentiment matches many others, so I am pretty confident I made a good purchase. My wallet hurts but I think the joy I have using the machines will ease the pain.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

DC what size is that lathe? I was looking at the 8 inch one, but it looks a little small.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    DC what size is that lathe? I was looking at the 8 inch one, but it looks a little small.
    It's the 17". 8" is really not a lot of room when you start adding work pieces, centers, drills etc. plus the hole through the spindle is only 0.4" so if your work piece is larger than that you can't move it back into the spindle to gain space.

Nice looking machines. I've been tossing around the idea of a 7x10 lathe for a while, but haven't quite convinced myself that I'll use it enough to be worth the price.

D.C. I was looking at getting a drill press. Do think I could do the same things with a mill and have more options? Or is a drill press a must? I don't know much about mills other than making cut outs with what looks like a drill bit.
    Last edited by Jediseth; 04-13-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Blog Entries

D.C. I was looking at getting a drill press. Do think I could do the same things with a mill and have more options? Or is a drill press a must? I don't know much about mills other than making cut outs with what looks like a drill bit.
    The drill but looking things are called end mills. You can drill with a mill using drill bits but I am by no means a machinist so do some research to find more details on that. I do know you don't want to try to drill holes with an end mill.

Thanks DC. I'm thinking your right. I may get a drill press first. Seems like lots of guys making sabers gets one.

Thanks DC. I'm thinking your right. I may get a drill press first. Seems like lots of guys making sabers gets one.
    A drill press is undoubtedly less expensive. If you'd like an introduction to what can be done with a lathe and mill, the mini-lathe / mini-mill site is a good place to start.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

A drill press should not used for milling functions. You might get away with it for a bit, but the taper of the chuck and bearings are not made for milling. It will eventually throw the bit and/or chuck and be dangerous. So keep that in mind. Most get a drill press because it prevents stupid mistakes on very common things you'd need to do like drilling for a switch or set screw.
    RED LEADER Standing by!