Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherline Mill and Lathe

Blog Entries

Default Sherline Mill and Lathe

I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a package including a mill and lathe both with DRO and a bunch of extras to help me get started. I know they are small but I think they will be a good option for me to learn and do some fun things. From what I've read, owners love them and hold onto them for years.

I know the real machinists and sabersmiths are chuckling and saying "aww how cute those toys are"

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Blog Entries

Very nice. Enjoy!

I sense some amazingness coming in the near future!

These are manual machines, right? Not CNC?

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    ^^^This!!!
    Why did Isendra die? Tell me the truth!

That it is beyond your abilities does not mean it is beyond mine. I learned the lesson of Isendra's death. But I was given my power for a reason, and it is my burden to use it.
    I will use it, not fear it as you do, High Councilor Valthek

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post

These are manual machines, right? Not CNC?
    Yep, they're manual. They do sell CNC ready packages with preinstalled steppers etc and they also have full-blown CNC packages. I figured DRO was good for now.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Uh, I want one. That's cool!

Considering what I've seen you make *without* such tools...I'm expecting minds to be blown.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

This is exactly what you need for making crystal chambers and other small parts. Watchmakers / Clockmakers really like these sized machines.

-Denzil

Sherline makes an awesome product. I think you will find the quality outstanding. They have a TON of accessories as well. This was my first lathe/mill and I loved it. The only reason I got rid of it was I needed more capacity than the Sherline could offer. If you have not purchased the risers you should. It will help in turning larger material. Also I would recomend their rotary table and tailstock mount. You can index drilling very easily on the mill by attaching both to the milling table. You just dial in the deg and line it up and bam! I am fortunate to live a few miles from their Vista facility! It is awesome.. if I ever had questions I could just run down there! Don't let anyone tell you this isn't a serious machine. For many things it is superior to a full size mill/lathe/drill set up!