Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anodizing dyes to make copper color?

Default Anodizing dyes to make copper color?

Hey, gang. I'm looking at doing some type ii anodizing at home as a consequence of the shop no longer offering the more complicated powder coat options. The part I'm coloring is the main gripping area, so I figure that anodizing will be more durable than at-home powder coating. Anyway, the point is, I've been looking at anodizing dyes, and the "copper" colors offered by Caswell et alia seem too orange to my eyes. So, questions:

1) Anyone have any advice for a good dye or dye mixture for achieving a finish that's more copper metalic and less jollypop copper?

2) Should I maybe be thinking about electroplating copper instead? Anyone have any thoughts on how durable that process is?

3) Is there some other option I haven't thought of, but should consider?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Yes the anodized copper is a bit more to the orange side...you have to mix with the blend till you get what you want. Most that do copper make there own by mixing some brown/bronze ...you have to to test blends till you get the hue your looking for. ...yes its a process. lol

Electroplating is fine as long as its thick enough. ...you don't want it rubbing off over time...being it the part you hold onto the most.

You could try the Spectra Chrome ....but that's even more of a process...and you would have to take to a paint shop that dose it....unless you got $6000 bucks burning a hole in you pocket to buy your own unit.

If you are trying to plate copper to aluminum it will not be easy. I have a bunch of process bookmarked, but haven't gotten around to trying any yet. Generally you need to plate something like nickle first, then copper. There is one tutorial I read to which a comment claimed to get a thin "strike" plating on aluminium. That plate layer would theoretically allow a thicker traditional plate.

In the end it's probably cheaper and safer to get the anodizing working or get the piece powder coated.

H'okie. I guess I'll be picking up some sampler squares and experimenting with dye mixes to find the true copper of my soul.

Though, looking at electroplating further, I do find myself wondering: what grade of aluminium does TCSS use?
    Last edited by Jenny; 04-10-2017 at 02:44 AM.

Last I heard, the MHS parts are T6 aluminum.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

T6 is a temper, not a grade.

It is 6061 T6 aluminum (they actually have longer temper definitions, but in terms of finishing, the material composition is identical).

Thanks again, folks. That lets me pick up stock for testing anodizing and plating before I commit with my valuable TCSS machined parts!

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    I look forward to your results!
    Well, don't hold your breath... remember that it takes me a long time to actually gather all the resources I need, and find the spoons to play with it.

I came up with this while experimenting with paints:

I used a dark grey etching primer and copper enamel. It actually looks really good in person. My only concern is long term durability. I've been debating how to finish it.