Thread: Any suggestions on using diodes to limit current to LEDs?

Default Any suggestions on using diodes to limit current to LEDs?

Hello ,

I'm trying to set up an attiny2313 to drive an array of LEDs and blink them in different patterns. Rather than putting a series resistor in line with each LED (they'll be controlled separately, so I can't do tricks like putting them in series with each other), I was wondering about just using a couple diodes to get the voltage down to the right range.

The system is running at 3.3V (with a regulator to keep it pretty constant), and two 1N4001 diodes will drop that down to 1.9V - right in line with the lower end of the 1.8 - 2.2V these LEDs are specced for.(For more information of 1N4001, here's its datasheet: http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf8798/1N4001G.pdf) Since the diodes will always want to maintain the same voltage drop across themselves, I don't have to worry about that voltage changing as I turn the LEDs on or off. Overall I save 6 components.

Has anyone else tried something like this? Is there anything I've overlooked? I realize the diodes will have to dissipate the full current from all the LEDs, but for this small amount of current that doesn't seem like it will be an issue.

Any comments will be grateful.

I have no firsthand experience with this, but if I recall correctly, Naigon uses diodes instead of resistors for his LED units, and they seem to work fine. So I don't know the exact details but it seems to be possible.