Thread: First time making a saber... need some help with a few parts.

Default First time making a saber... need some help with a few parts.

So, for my very first metal saber, I decided that I'd build one, because I wanted one that was unique to me. Simple enough, right?
    It should look like the hilt below, one is with the "shroud" and the other picture is without it.

Saber v2.jpg

Saber v2 no shroud.jpg

Now, that sleeve part on top of the extensions are actually blade holders, as the saber builder doesn't have the option to add sleeves, which kinda puts me at a disadvantage here.
    Here's my question.

I will be getting that ribbed extension drilled for a switch, that's a given.
    How do you guys cut your sleeves and/or drill holes in them? That sleeve's going on top of the switch so I need to know. Would it be possible to ask Tom to custom machine the sleeves?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duality; 04-06-2017 at 05:05 PM.

The shroud is usually made from the sleeve material. Generally, you cut and shape it anyway you can. I just started myself and did the shroud here with a hand drill, a dremel and files, so it is possible with basic hand tools (if I can do it, anyone can....).

To attach the shrouds, you will either have to drill through them and use a screw/set-screw in some fashion. You may be able to do a set screw from inside without drilling through the shroud, but that might be difficult to get right so it doesn't interfere with the chassis.

I would set the back/pommel-side sleeve with a covertec clip screw, so it isn't so obvious, but you may have to reshape the covertec angle a bit if you are that particular. Just wrap the sleeve material in sandpaper and drag the covertec clip across it (straight!) to reform the curve to the bigger sleeve.

The front one you could put the switch through and use that to lock the sleeve in place. Since the hole for the switch will already be drilled, you will want to drill the same size hole in your shroud material first, and then shape around that.

Also, don't forget, the shroud has some thickness to it, so it won't be flush like your drawing. You might want to finish the front edge and/or extend the shroud shape symmetrically to cover part of the emitter as well.
    And finally, make sure you remind Tim line up the blade retention screw hole and the switch hole -- just in case it isn't obvious.

Thank you for the help. I just made a picture to show you what I intend to do, if you think there's anything missing please let me know.

Saber v3 revise shroud.jpg

I couldn't read the text in that image -- it was resized way too small on upload or something.

One thing to note is if you put the covertec where it looks like you are indicating, it will go through the threads where the pommel attaches and I am not sure you want to deal with that. You may want to move it a bit forward as there is about 0.5" of thread between the parts. Also, it seems like you are indicating 2 screws for the rear sleeve, but that won't be necessary if you want to keep it cleaner. The shroud material fits very well -- you just need to stop it from moving. But, these are just plans anyway -- things will adjust as you start getting into it.

Also, I am not sure if you have taken into account the chassis, but you will want to plan that out. If you are going to have a recharge port you will probably need to put that up by the switch. If so, you will want that hole drilled at the same time as the activation switch to fit in a box (which might be a nice addition to fit with your style of saber).

BTW, I hope you don't mind but I did some quick changes to your mockup to show the thicker shroud material and added a activation box (ala style 9).

1.jpg
    Last edited by Rampant; 04-07-2017 at 08:02 AM.

That actually helps a ton! Thanks!