Thread: Help with Hasbro S.B. wiring...

Default Help with Hasbro S.B. wiring...

Hey all...

I just started blade building and I am starting cheap so I don't waste good money on mistakes. So I am using a Hasbro Blade-Builders Obi-Wan saber, but I am taking out the blue LED and replacing it with a red Cree-XPE2 LED (2.6v max at 350 mA). I am also including a super bright red LED (2.4v max at 20 mA) for a crystal chamber. I am using a 9v battery because I want the staying power, I am assuming a 9v will last longer that 3 X 1.5v.

I understand that the red Cree LED needs to be resisted because the blue LED that the saber came with takes more voltage. My question is, with a 9v, should or can I resist the sound board from a 9v to 4.5v, then resist the Cree LED from the 4.5v down to a safe voltage as not to burn it out? Will that work?

Thank in advance for Any help...

Stephen =]

Hey Stephen,

There are a bunch of threads under "cutaway and schematics" as well as "saber sound".

You can't do what you are trying to do without a few more parts and additions. Most notably is a voltage regulator. You will need to resist both led's.

Typical 9V alkaline batteries are poor sources of power for a saber. They are typically low capacity, low current, and because their voltage is so high compared to the LED and board needs, you lose a lot of power when adding resistors.